Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee Identification "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I found this at a local coin shop and thought it was pretty intersting. It is marked J.G. Bradley & Co, Lord Street Liverpool. It is marked Railway Timekeeper and Quick Beat. I am looking for any info on the maker or Company. I would also like to know if Fusee watches were ever utilized in railway service or was this just a marketing ploy?

The movement was uncased.. So hallmarking is a moot point
Also, can someone explain what quick beat is.. Would it be the same as quick train?

Here are a couple of pictures, sorry about the quality.

Dial photo

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Photo #2

Bruce Byrd

movement

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
and a 3rd

Bruce Byrd

posted
Bruce,

A listed maker James Gibbon Bradley circa 1828 - 1834. I have not seen any documentation of approval for English watches in RR service.. It appears this watch is nicley jeweled and is marked to indicate a Massey roller table...Most likley a Massey III....but you never know without a visual inspection....Lord Street was also an early address for M.I. Tobias & Co..with the Lord St name one of that companies higher grades..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
I missed this one somehow.

Nice watch.John has covered more then I could have told you,but I enjoyed looking at it.

This one may be from about the time English watch makers were starting to sweat it over American and swiss watches,yet before they were willing to give up the fusee.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003