• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thomas Russell & Son "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a TR Pocket Watch which does not run. The main reason I beleive to be the incorrectly sized Balance staff (although I cannot be sure whether other items in the assembly are correct) as gentle oscillation of the Fork promotes movement in the Escape Wheel indicating there is power reaching that far in the train when wound up.

I am not sure either, whether the Balance Cock should be numbered the same as the movement serial as is the case with Walthams, if so the Balance Cock is not original.
There also seems to be a kink in the Hairspring.

As a minimum I think that I need to get the staff replaced with a correct one, possibly a relacement Hairspring and the jury is still out on the roller depending on its originality or not.

Any comments on my diagnosis would be appreciated as my experience is very little but growing all the time.

The Watch

Thanks for taking the time to look

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
posted
Balance Wheel, Staff & Roller (various angles)

posted
Balance Staff Jewels

posted
Also a question for Thomas Russell knowledgable out there I see the minute hand is not blued in the centre and that appears hollow, would this indicate a missing sweep second hand ? or is this merely a "feature"...

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
the staff might even be the correct one. To my old eyes it looks as though both of the staff pivot ends are broken off Eek

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Hello Gareth,I have a Thomas Russell and son movement that looks similar to yours.From the dial that's on it and the hollow center post,it probably had a center second hand.The balance assembly is perfect.The 4th wheel pinion,or the second hand post is broken.It has a broken pivot on the pallet lever.Also the cannon pinion has a couple of teeth missing.Sounds worse than it really is.If it's the same movement you could use your lever, and cannon pinion and have a running watch with all the same numbers.I'm going to be away until the 28th.Check with me then.You can email me at taloneka@windstream.net.Regards.Norm By the way,you can have the movement if you pay shipping.

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Thanks Norman, I'll get in touch with you around that time then.

posted
Ideally I also should be looking for a second hand similar to the one in this Russell thread as the minute / second markings are comparable to mine.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I suspect that your movement was made by H. Williamson of Coventry, England. If so, the name will be found under the dial.

If there is any rust on the hairspring then the balance w/spring should be replaced as a unit (if you can find a junk movement with a good balance unit).

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002