• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Philadelphia Watch look-alike "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a 16s keywind that looks for all the world like a Philadelphia Watch Company watch, but the movement is not identified at all, and the serial number is 60,777-much too high to be a Philadelphia if the numbers were consecutive. This watch seems to be Swiss made. Has anyone seen another watch like this?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Stephen

Any chance of posting a photo of the movement? Have looked under the dial for any makers marks there?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Stephen, it'd be great to see some photo's of your watch, if you're having a problem getting any posted on the site, let us know and we'll help.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Here is a photo of the Philadelphia look-alike watch movement. Thanks for your interest.

Steve Gossard

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Stephen

I like the looks of that movement, are there any marks under the dial, I am curious as to who made it too!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
There is nothing under the dial but the serial number stamp. I am having it restored and cased, but haven't gotten it back yet. I also sent a photo to NAWCC, but they couldn't tell me anything for sure, either.

posted
Stephen,
Many thanks for posting the pic's for us.

The movement is one I've never seen before, but it is of very good quality for its period.

The lever pivot is offcentre to the line of the balance and escape wheel, so it's a 'sidelever' type and appears to have steel pallets.

The pallet arm might be screwed under the lever or integral with it, and probably has jewel slips inserted into small milled slots in the pallet faces.

If the escape wheel tooth tips are pointed (not clear in the photo), it will be English, if club toothed, probably Swiss or, ....... maybe American?

Hope someone comes up with an ID for it!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
I wonder if the company that produced the ebauches for the Philadelphia might have wound up with some stock left over when the company closed down, and finished off some of the movements and sold them themselves.

posted
Here is the dial side of the watch, too.