WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Ball Watch Company Research Forum    Antiques Roadshow Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen presentation watch.
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Antiques Roadshow Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen presentation watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Did anybody catch Antiques Roadshow in Chicago last night, the grandson of William S Carter brought in his grandfathers 18 size, 23 jewel, B of LF Standard presentation watch in a 18 karat gold case with a gold chain and a Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen watch fob, it was a beauty the expert talked about Webb C Ball, and railway standards, and estimated that the watch would be worth between $12,000 and $16,000. I would sure like to find out the Serial No. of this watch to add to the database of known surviving Ball 18 size, 23 jewel pocket watches.

Rear view of Home in which W.S. Carter, President of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, spent his boyhood days.

Carter, William Samuel. Born in Austin, Texas, August 11, 1859; son of Samuel Miles and Margaret Francis (Oliphant) Carter; married Mary Evelyn Gorsuch on December 26, 1880, and after her death in 1892, Julia I. Cross on November 27, 1902; attended the public schools of Williamson County, Texas and then the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas for two years; worked for a time as a cowboy before becoming a fireman on a southwestern railroad in 1879; worked during 1879-1894 as a baggageman, fireman and engineer on several different railroads in the United States and Mexico; joined the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen (B of LF) became editor and manager of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen's Magazine in 1894 and served until 1904; elected General Secretary Treasurer of the B of LF in 1904, and President in 1909; appointed director of the Department of Labor of the U.S. Railway Administration during World War I; retired from the presidency of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen in 1922 and was appointed manager of the newly organized research department; an opponent of compulsory arbitration, but was an essentially conservative trade unionist who advocated mediation and arbitration as an alternative to strikes; supported the Democratic Party; died in Baltimore Maryland on March 15, 1923

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1357
posted
I saw the show and really enjoyed it. It is too bad
they didn't give the s/n.

Roger

Posts: 4085 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
I saw the show and was green with envy. I told my wife===Christmas is coming soon???

Michael C. Bussacco

Posts: 46 | Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: January 28, 2015
posted
Michael - I just joined the IHC and noticed your name and was wondering if you are the same Michael Bussacco who wrote several books on the Heritage Press? I collect HPs and there was a big discussion recently on the Library Thing George Macy group about whether you ever finished the fourth volume of your bibliography of HP authors. Your ears should have been burning because there was lots of praise.

Posts: 1 | Location: Dalton, Georgia in the USA | Registered: November 12, 2017