Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Webb C. Ball Residence and Gravesite "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 638
posted
Dave,

Yes I did speak with the owner. I didn't want to snoop around and take pictures so I knocked on the
door. By coincidence we are employed by the same institiution (he saw the logo on my shirt) and I think this put him a little more at ease.

He had no knowledge of Webb C Ball or the fact that this was his home. I brought a 16s Ball Commercial Standard with me and showed him and his wife the inscription on the dial and gave them a little bit of Webb C Ball history.

I would like to get a nice photogragh (or copy) of Webb C Ball and provide a brief history of his accomplishments then have it framed and matted and give it to the owner. They were very kind to let a stranger come in and take pictures of their home.

The street address is: 2605 E. Overlook Rd. The current owner has resided there since 2001.

Mike

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great work Mike,

I can make a nice copy of the photograph shown in Ed Parson's January 20th post. It's also the one we used for the Find-A-Grave site. We could make it happen as a special gift from all of us.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 638
posted
Lindell

Sounds great! I will talk to you more about it next week. I'm going to be away for a few days...Going fishing in Canada.

Mike Smile

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Member 665
posted
Michael

Having been away for more than a month I have just seen your promised pictures of the Ball home in Cleveland, together with valuable supporting information. I, for one, greatly appreciate your effort and thoroughness in undertaking and carrying this matter through. The record you have created adds a new dimenson to our knowledge and understanding of the man whose achievements we all admire.

With thanks, again.

John Scott

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted

PAYING MY RESPECTS TO WEBB C. BALL

Today, Friday, September 28th was a beautiful day in Cleveland. Lenore and I decided to go to Lake View Cemetery to find Webb C. Ball's grave and pay our respects.

Thank you, Lenore for taking the pictures.

Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
The watch on the grave stone is my Ball-Hamilton Serial Number 608 (from 1894 production) in 14K Jeannot & Shiebler case.

I thought bringing this watch there was a fitting memorial. I would think HE would be pleased to know that 113 years later, that there is still a great interest in the work he did to improve safety on the railroads.

Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005