Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Webb C. Ball Residence and Gravesite "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 665
posted
In recent times it has been my quest to flesh out information that relates to the life and times of Webb C Ball.

I understand that Mr Ball lived at Cleveland Heights. I gather that this neighbourhood was established in 1901 so Mr Ball may have been one of its earliest residents. Does any one know the street address and whether the Ball home might still be standing? A photograph of it would be most interesting to see.

The following information has been provided to me by the management of the Lakeview Cemetery, Cleveland: “Mr. Ball is buried in Section 8 Lot 144. Birth October 6, 1846, DOD Mar 6, 1922”. It would be very interesting to see photographs of Mr Ball’s grave and its inscription if someone who lives close would be willing to take the trouble to collect the data.

John Scott

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
If and when this is done, it should be submitted to the website:

Find-A-Grave

so others can find him and his gravesite.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 638
posted
To John and All,

Lake View Cemetery

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Member 638
posted
Lake View is a very beautiful cemetery. I wasn't expecting it to be difficult to find Webb C Ball's gravesite because Section 8 is rather small, plus I figured the gravesite would be somewhat large and well marked due to his prominence in society.

After about 15 minutes of searching I found the headstone. I don't know much about Webb C Ball as a person, but looking at his gravesite I would venture to say he was a humble man with great love for his family.

IHC Member 638
posted
This is what I found...

IHC Member 638
posted
It took me a while to realize all that was surrounding his gravesite. His wife Florence's headstone is directly to his right and a son's headstone directly to his left. Then I realized the whole area was filled with Ball family members.

In the next photo you will see a small monument with Mr Ball's headstone being the second last on the left.

IHC Member 638
posted
Could this be a young Cronos (Father Time) knocking on Heaven's Door?

IHC Member 638
posted
after all................. It's Just a Matter of Time!

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Excellent photos and detective work!! Like I said, please contact the webmaster of the link I supplied above. They'll put the information on their website, along with your photos (with your permission, of course!)

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mike,

I could be wrong but I am sure that the beautiful grave marker in your photo is a representation of scripture in the book of Revelations where Jesus says " I STAND AT THE DOOR AND KNOCK IF ANY MAN LET ME IN I WILL COME IN AND HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM." It is a very nice sentiment at the time of death.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I thought that as well John, but have to say that's the oddest bronze I've ever seen depicting Jesus. Confused

Regards! Mark

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Everything about this is great. Smile

Thanks to John for coming up with the information, to Mike for making the trip and bringing back these wonderful images and Mark for his suggestion. This is getting interesting!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 638
posted
John,
Your assumption may well be correct and very appropriate for a gravesite. It was very moving once I pieced it all together.

Mark,
I agree with you about the bronze. His identity had me a bit bewildered also.
I will work on getting this information to Find-A- Grave.

Mike Smile

IHC Member 665
posted
Michael

You have done a wonderful job of following up the lead to the grave of Webb C Ball. Thank you for sharing your findings and your impressions with us all.

I would say that you have provided a wonderful and highly appreciated example of the power of our Association as aided by the Internet. As a distant member I am acutely aware of the fact that this is what Chapter 185 is all about.

With thanks, again.

Now the house!!

John Scott

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
What these photos make me think about is that here once was the man who lived his life and died, and whose name we see on all our Ball watches.

Usually we look on those names on our collections with a complete disassociation of that fact...but here the man lies in his grave with his family around him, proving he was once flesh and blood, loving and loved by his family, and who would NEVER have believed we'd STILL be talking about him and the products he produced so many years after his passing.

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 638
posted
John,
The house(s) should not be a problem provided it/they still exist. Cleveland Heights has many old ,well built, beautiful homes. I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful resource in Case Western Reserve Historical Society so locating his residence shouldn't be too difficult.

Mark,
Beautifully stated, I couldn't have expressed it any better!

Mike Smile

IHC Member 665
posted
Mike

If you can possibly go that extra mile it would be another great contribution to our understanding of the human dimension.

JBS

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mike and I we have been doing more research on this.

In reviewing both public and private documents we came up with quite a lot of information. After finding that Mr. Ball died at his home in Cleveland Heights we were able to identify it and determine that the residence which was built in 1889 is still there in good condition today. Interestingly some records showed his date of death as March 6th and others as the 7th but we believe it to be the 7th from the weekday being clearly referenced. Another conflict arose in the year of his birth, some accounts showing 1846 but the vast majority indicated 1847 therefore we accepted that date which is reflected on the gravestone as being the most definitive information. There is much more to come so stay tuned.

Meanwhile, here is what we established at Find-A-Grave...

Webb C. Ball (1847-1922) Find-A-Grave Memorial by NAWCC Chapter 185

Let us know your thoughts!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Very nice Lin, the only thing missing from the memorial was a portrait of Mr. Ball. As a contributor to findagrave.com myself, I was able to add the following Ball portrait I had in my archives.

Webb C. Ball

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 638
posted
Thanks Ed for the photo.

I knew we forgot something! Big Grin

Mike

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
BRAVO!!!!!!!! Big Grin

HIGH regards!!! Mark

IHC Member 665
posted
Well done!

John Scott

Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Thank you, John and Mike! This is great information. This again points to the educational value of the IHC site, and contributions from all it's members!
Cheers!
Joel Sarich Smile

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
posted
i would enjoy seeing a picture of his home , was it modest or... ?

Posts: 109 | Location: Brookpark, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 06, 2005
IHC Member 638
posted
Pete,

I believe the house is fairly substantial at almost 5,000 sq ft and is well constructed according to the county auditors records. There are also two smaller buildings/homes on the property at almost 900sq ft each that were built shortly after the main house.

I have not viewed the home as of yet but is on my list of things to do. I prefer to get a photo once the snow has melted and flowers and trees are in bloom. It will get done! Smile

Mike

IHC Member 638
posted
A picture of the Ball grave site around the time of his burial.

IHC Member 638
posted
Photo of the grave site today from approximately the same view.

IHC Member 638
posted
Webb C. Ball's Home as it stands in 2007.
Built in 1889

IHC Member 638
posted
Information about the Home:
13 rooms
6 Bedrooms
3 Full Baths
1 Half Bath
4944 sq ft. not including the fully finished 3rd floor.

The front closed porch was added by a previous owner and is not original to the home. It originally had an open front porch.

There originally were two (2)small homes on the property (possibly maids quarters)approximately 900sq ft each but now there is only one and it has it's own address.

A built in swimming pool was added by a previous owner.

A garage was added by the current owner and sounded as if the city requested that he do so.

The home originally had an elevator but that was removed by a previous owner.

The last Ball to own the home was Wilma Ball Morgan (daughter). The home was sold in January 1955. Since 1955 it has had 5 owners.

Mike

IHC Member 638
posted
Pool Side of the Home

The garage is just behind the pool side of the home and is attached to the back of the house by an enclosed walkway.
Behind where I was standing is the maids quarters/guest house.

IHC Member 638
posted
The Maids Quarters/ Guest House

There is a crushed stone walkway and a beautiful garden that leads to the pool.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thank you Mike for the update!

I appreciate the time you took to go over to Webb C. Ball's house, provide photos along with the interesting comments.

Debbie

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
Exemplary work Mike!! I live on the western side of the county now, but worked in Cleveland Hts. for quite a while. What is the street address of Webb C. Ball house? Did you have the opportunity to speak to the current owners?

Again, A fine job.

Dave

Posts: 76 | Location: Parma, Northern Ohio USA | Registered: January 02, 2006