Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

12-size Ball Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I recently won this 12 size Ball watch with an interesting dial and open square hands.

The movement number is B406129.

Can anyone tell me who the maker is and how many of these were made?

This is my first Ball purchase after selling most of my 16s Ball Hamilton watches last year.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello John,

You have a 12-size Ball-Illinois with a really interesting dial.

It will be detailed in the "Illinois Encyclopedia" as a Grade 417 movement on page 160 but one mistake there should be corrected. The production of these began at number B400001 through B408000 inclusive so yours is about half way through the run or approximately 1930 production.

For more about these see "Ball-Illinois and Ball-Waltham 12-Size Serial Number Specifics" and Ball Watch Co watch enquiries as well as Jim Hernick's Ball Watches and Clocks Slide Presentation all here on our IHC185 Discussion Site and all of which contain additional information about these fine watches.

Congratulations on another nice buy!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Thanks Lindell. A fountain of info as always.

This watch, which my wife categorizes as "butt ugly", is ticking away nicely on my bench. Smile

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005