Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this a scarce case? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
This is a picture of the case back from lot 72 in the upcoming J&H sale. I had the opportunity to hold it in my hand yesterday and it is one of the sharpest examples I have seen. Of course I have not seen that many and, in fact, very few before the recent symposium.

This is the marking inside the back.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Tom,

Its a very desirable case because of the fancy pattern back, and I'm sure quite scarce in this condition. Chain wear is the Achilles heel of this type of case, and this one appears not to have any.

IMHO it would be appropriate for a Ball Official Standard railroad watch of 1920's vintage. Ball collectors generally consider this Wadsworth Ball Model to be the best stirrup bow case of its era.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree, the one in the auction is a sharp example, they're not often found in such fine condition. White gold-filled pattern-back cases are among the most desirable among collectors and this particular design with the pattern running up the sides of the bow is a favorite of mine. Check the October 1925 introductory advertisement below this posting for additional details.

The auction movement B622978 is from 1926 and that Wadsworth Ball Model Case number 7486483 lines up as 1927 which points to the strong probability of being a nice original combination. The movement is a 21-Jewel, No Seal, Going Barrel of which some 40,200 were produced. See Ed and Kent's Chart on page 484 of the August 2002 Bulletin.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002