Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

90101-90950 Hamilton Ball runs "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
90220 DS ORRS "Adjusted A" marked Saphire pallet

90101-90200 Left Hamilton as 999F's. From my data base it appears they probably should have W C B Dials. At least one of them is reported with what may be a replacement WCB Barrel bridge.

WCB DIAL thread

90201-90600 left the factory designated Uniform Standard, but some of them have been reported as SR
90601-90750 left the factory designated as 999F's but have been reported as a variety of SR and or DS a BLE , but all marked Ball & Co on mvmt.
90750-90800 left the factory designated as 999E's!! 90801-90950 designated as 999F's. All my reports show these ended up as Commercial STD most with Ball Watch Co dial
(and movement?) markings but some with "Ball & Co" markings.

Hope to have 90220 in hand next week and will remove remove the barrel bridge to check the serial number.

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Note the wider circular damasceening on this movement.

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
This dial was found on a Ball's Standard Railroad Watch 20764.

In my opinion this dial is a prototype that was considered and rejected for the Uniform Standard Watches 90201=90600 but instead used on marked as "Single Roller ORRS" movements.

This mixed run deserves a lot of study and I think we can make a little more sense out of it with further observations.

Because of the transitional nature of the Ball Co at this juncture, I believe it important to see under the barrel bridges. I think a lot of them will have no serial numbers, suggesting that barrel bridges were likely replaced in-house at Ball & Company to meet new criteria that was evolving.

Courtesty of Tom Brown:

Article from The Jewelers' Circular 1899 Rockerfeller Capital Put into Webb Ball Co.

Rockefeller Capital Put into the Webb C. Ball Co.

Cleveland, O., Oct. 29.—It has just been officially announced that an important change will be made in the conduct of one of Cleveland's foremost jewelry establishments. Rockefeller capital will henceforth play an important part in the furthering of the business interests of the Webb C. Ball Co., of this city.

At a meeting of the stockholders in the local offices of the company, Frank Rockefeller and Frank Brewster, of the Standard Oil Co.. New York, identified themselves with the Ball company by investing in substantial blocks of stock. Frank Brewster was elected president of the company, with the following persons composing the directorate: Frank Rockefeller, Frank Brewster, J. A. Beidler, J. H. Dempsey, F. I. Ball, J. P. Dawley and Webb C. Ball.

It is the purpose of the company to push the Ball watch among railroad people and the public generally.

happy hunting

posted
nice Bill, let me know what is hand "etched" on the outer damaskeeing ring just above the case scew. The dial is way cool! enjoy

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Joseph

Do you mean the "Saphire Pallets" ? If so, I am hoping that it is the fault of the photo that it shows up so poorly. Here is another movement, note that the script coloring seems a bit different. Note also that the wording is on the one wide ring, unlike the two ring inscription we are used to.

Note also the Bridge marking is a conversion Ball's standard Railroad Watch Co from 20708 instead of the ORRS A that would be the norm.

happy hunting

posted
yes indeed Bill, thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't make it out in the photo.

Oh, FYI there is a Ball & CO BRT on Ebay now which is already on your Ball & Co list noted to have been owned by Lindell.

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Joseph,

Interestingly, there is at least one report of a 902xx watch without the Saphire Palet markings.

Due to the different colorations, I wonder if Ball at his facility added the inscription to all the rest. It seems wierd that one would be different looking.

happy hunting