Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Waltham w/ Roman numeral dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1739
posted
I have been offered a Ball Waltham 19J 16S OF OFFS lever set s/n B222610 pocket watch with a Roman Numeral dial that says "Ball Watch Co., Cleveland"
Can you shed any light on this dial, replacement, after market, not legal as a ORRS approved dial etc. Thanks Nick

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2012
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
What you have is a Ball-Waltham from 1907 production. The RN dial would be unusual, hard to say much more without a photo. Yes, pictures would be a big help.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1739
posted
Hi, Ed,

I have a picture of the dial of the watch below.

Thanks,
Nick

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2012
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Nick:
I see you've posted your dial picture, I think what you have would of been more of a dress watch, not approved for railway service.

Here is a photo of my Ball Waltham 16 size, 17 jewel, Serial No. B-237948. it has a 24-hour Roman numeral dial marked Ball Official RR Standard that would have been approved for railway service in Western Canada.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I agree with Larry, your dial would not have been considered Railroad Grade in the U.S. at the time your watch was produced. That dial signature "Ball Watch Co., Cleveland" is also something I would normally associate with Ball Commercial Standard Watches in most instances.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Another one like Nick's watch on eBay right now?

ebay

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The one Bill found on eBay is a Ball-Waltham 12-size Commercial Standard (Right Ed! Smile) and interestingly it has the same style dial and hands as Nick's watch but it is the 12-size version whereas Nick has a 16-size watch. This is where Ball-Waltham watches become very confusing in addition to being very, very interesting.

Examine the next two images very carefully, the train bridges are shaped differently, that is definitive.

Dial and movement on the 12-size Bill asked about...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Notice the different shape of the movements plates, most particularly shape of the train bridges, between the 12-size Ball-Waltham (above) and the 16-size shown in the image you see below.

Typical 16-size Ball-Walthan movement to compare...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002