• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball's Standard Railroad Watch Co "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A thread down below shows a 16 J example of the RRWCO.

Browsing thru the OHIO Corp search engine and using the key words "railroad watch" they show the 1897 incorporation date.

inc search ohio

However the relevant documents are not on line. Does anyone know how to access the documents?

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bill

I emailed the place listed in your link & they emailed me the document in a PDF file. I am emailing it to you.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom,

Marvelous and outstanding work! Thats the kind of things that make this board a success!

Thank you!!

Can't upload the pdf file here. Maybe if you can convert it to JPG it will go.

We can make out 4 of those 12 sigs for sure as they are typed in the body of the text.

Webb C Ball
T.P. O'Shea
J.P. Dawley
J.W. Juangling

the other nine I will make some guesses at but would like others to see and see if anyone thinks they recognize the names or has a logical reason to think they might be associates of Ball.

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Thats 12 signatures plus Webb C Ball. lucky 13!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bill

Here is one page as a jpeg.

Tom

page 01

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is page two.

The signature under Web Ball I make out as;
Oscar Tyler born about 1848 in New York, 1880 in Cleveland as a Railroad Engineer, 1910 Safety Supervisor for RR, 1920 still Cleveland as Railroad Solicitor.

If I come up with more I will post it.

Tom

page 02

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Found this Bill, could help with the signatures.

ARTICLES of incorporation were filed on November 13 in the office of the Secretary of State by the Ball Standard Railroad Watch Company, of Cleveland, O., capitalized at $100,000. The incorporators are Webb C. Ball, Oscar Tyler, E. D. Page, J. H. Dempsey, Joseph Palite, John W. Sylvester, William Tunkey, James A. Lathrop, Frank N. Gear, Simeon T. Tufts, T. P. O'Shea, J. W. Juengling and J. P. Dowling.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
James H. Dempsey
ATTORNEY-AT-LAW

Born in Shelby, Ohio, March 29, 1859, son of John and Martha C. (Davies) Dempsey. Graduate of Kenyon College, A. B., 1882.

Engaged in the practice of law, first as member of the firm of Estep, Dickey & Squire, and since January, 1890, of the firm of Squire, Sanders & Dempsey. President and Director of the Factory Site Co., and the Mogul Mining Co.; Vice-Pres- ident and Director, Toledo and South Eastern Railway Co.; Director of the Grasselli Chemical Co., the Glidden Varnish Co., the Webb C. Ball Watch Co., the Kelley Island Cable Co., and the Ohio and Western Lime Co.

dempsey

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great work as always Tom!

The highly regarded Cleveland Law Firm of Squire, Sanders & Dempsey is very much with us today...

CLICK TO SEE: "Squire, Sanders & Dempsey Legal Counsel Worldwide"

It is interesting that with all those heavy-hitters involved the Railroad Watch Company went bust. There were economic downturns in the 1890s and that may be the answer to what happened. Remember that Columbus was being reorganized about that time and a few years later it was sold and disbanded, the tooling and many of the employees went to South Bend, Indiana... but I digress. Wink

See two Railroad Watch Company examples here... "Early Ball-Hamilton 18-size Images"

Railroad Watch Company survivors are prized today...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
So far this is all I can find on JW Juengling.

Globe Machine & Stamping Co.—3868 Hamilton Ave., N. E., Cleveland, О. Mfrs. brakes, brake drums, hub flanges, stampings, water jackets,, gaskets, pipe flanges. Mem. M. & A. M. Cap., $25,- ooo. Est. 1900. B. Krause, Près.; J. W. Juengling. Vice-Près.; A. F. Schroeder. Sec., Treas. and Gen. Mgr.; Oscar A. Loew, Supt.: Jac Schneider, head Tool Room; Ну. Goebelbecker, head Asseni bling Room; Wollender, head Press Rooms.

Might also be James W. Juengling, in 1900 census of Cleveland he is listed as mfr of jewelery, he was born Oct. 1852

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Frank N. Gear

1900 census Cleveland

born Dec. 1861 Salesman Jewelery

posted
Tom,

Outstanding! What is your source for those 13 names? They are obviously correct and easy to match with the signatures.

I have posted a larger version of the pdf file at my chap 52 website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page at: http://williamkapp.tripod.com/id35.htm

happy hunting

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bill

I found them in several publications, one was "The Railroad Trainman" by the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen 1897 page 1096

I am still working on what I can find on the other names.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
From the Locomotive Firemen's Magazine by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Fireman 1897

It is learned that the Ball Standard Railroad Watch Company, of Cleveland, O., has been incorporated, and includes as stockholders several members of the Brotherhoods, among whom the name of Bro. F. N. Gear, Collector of No. 10, appears.

ball