• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An isolated Ball-Hamilton Serial Number Sequence "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone help determine if my Ball Hamilton 'Superior Grade' watch is part of the early experimental run or early production.

The serial number is 6020 which doesn't seem to fit into the usual serial number sequences discussed.

The watch is clearly a model 936, but unlike other 'superior Grade' movements which did not have an indicated jewel count, it is clearly marked '17 jewels' in typical Hamilton style.

Although I am not set up for posting a photo, the movement is similar in virutally all other respects to the 'Superior Grade' photos already posted. All screws are polished. Engraved signatures are not gold-filled.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Larry Sowash

Posts: 3 | Location: Lansing, Michigan in the USA | Registered: December 12, 2010
posted
Lawrence,

I believe there were 86 or 87 of these early
Ball Hamilton 936 Superior grades produced.

Including yours, I know of 11 survivors.

Yours is from a run of 10, 6011-6020 in june/july 1894.

There are slight differences in the movements of these early runs. ie: placement of serial #'s, jewel markings. etc.

How is your dial marked?
Please post pics! There is never enough info for collectors of these rare beauties.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
You asked how the dial on my watch is marked.

It has the script 2-line signature
'Webb C. Ball'
'ClevelandO'

This is similar to other Superior Grade watches.

Posts: 3 | Location: Lansing, Michigan in the USA | Registered: December 12, 2010