WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch Cabinet from the Canadian Ball Watch Company "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A Canadian Ball Company Display Case reunited again, if anyone wants to read the a good comprehensive and definitive article on "Railway Time and Time Service", I highly recommend this article from Bulletin #160 October 1972 by Lawrence Treiman, in his narrative he refers to Abe Silverman and Silverman's Jewelers who owned the Canadian Ball Watch Company of Winnipeg Manitoba, located in Central Canada. The Business shut down around 1975, and Abe Silverman sold the wooden case that held watches coming in for repair, loaners, and repairs that were finished, to his close friend Alan Stern, I got to know Alan over the years as he had family in Calgary. Alan was getting on in his years, and decided to sell off its collection. He knew of my interest in Ball Watches and asked me if I would be interested in it. I said yes I would so he sent me this picture of it.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Larry,

Did you buy the case? Great photo.

It has been a while since I read the 1972 Bulletin article. The article identifies Mr silverman as A watchmaer for the Ball Watch co canada before going into his own jewelry and watchmaking business. No mention that he owned Ball Watch co Canada.

Did you get that info from Mr Stern or do you know it from another source?

I am especialy interested as I am trying to find info that would suggest different jewelers were partners with Ball's early enterprise.

Thx,

Bill Kapp

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I liked what I saw made him an agreeable offer and he shipped me the case which arrived in December. I had to find a half a dozen hooks and I was ready to go. There is 11 rows of six making room for 66 pocket watches. In the top row their are five loaners, and one working Swiss fake. Five rows of 18 size Hamiltons (30) 2 18 size Elgin (2). 7 16 size Hamilton (7) 1 16 size Illinois (1) 11 16 size Waltham (11) 3 16 size Record (3) 3 12 size Illinois (3) 3 0 to 0/6 Waltham (3)

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
So I have a bit of room left for the Dueber Hampden, Vacheron Constitin, and other rare private label brotherhoods. I wonder how many of these old-timers are saying "Home at last"

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Very nice Larry, thanks for sharing! Smile

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Larry,
very interesting post. I am partial to anything old and made of wood!
Where did you find the hooks?

Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Bill:

I found out a lot about the history of Silverman's Jewelers and the Canadian Ball Watch Company through personal correspondence with Manny Silverman, Abe's brother and partner in the business. The big players in jewelry stores out West were O. B. Alan in Vancouver, British Columbia D E. Black in Calgary, Alberta D.R. Dingwall in Winnipeg, Manitoba and they were bought out by Henry Birks & Sons's Montréal Québec.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Ed:

A good source of old-style hardware is:

Lee Valley

I believe they have an online catalog

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Thank you. I just requested their cataloge.
Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Larry,

Just came across this topic, beautiful cabinet.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Larry,

I have been reading and learning a lot from your posts. Thank you.

I noticed in one you have a movement marked Wm Kendricks and son.

Could you post a pic and/or tell us the serial number/

Thanks again,

Bill Kapp

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004