Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Jeweler C.C. Fried Bio Dated 1881 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
C. C. Fried, Ball Hamilton private label. 13266

C. C. FRIED, jeweler, Springfield. Charles Christian Fried is essentially a Springfield product, and a creditable one. He was born May 13, 1842, in this city: he lost his father when 10 years of age, and his mother seven years ago; he has two sisters-Mrs. Schertzer and Mrs. Weaver, both residents of Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Fried has been twice married-first, to Miss Sarah J. McBeth, on Aug. 6, 1863, who bore him a daughter on July 23, 1867, whom they named Jessie Lavinia; he lost his wife Nov. 13, 1873; on Feb. 25, 1875, he married Miss Anna Knott, by which union he had one daughter, born Feb. 24, 1877, whom they were so unfortunate as to lose on the 7th of July following; their last visitor is a little son, dating from Sept. 15, 1879. Mr. Fried commenced at the very bottom round of the ladder, being apprenticed in 1858 to Mr. W. Grossman, a jeweler, with whom he worked four years; before the end of his apprenticeship, the war had commenced, and young Fried responded to the President's call for 75,000 volunteers for three months, enlisting in Capt. Ed Mason's company, Springfield Zouaves, of the 2d O. V. I.; served three months, and then worked at his trade in Cincinnati, Ohio; returning to Springfield, he worked successively for B. Allen one and a half years, John P. Allen, his successor, eight years; then formed a copartnership with B. Allen, which continued two years, and in 1872 he opened his own store in a little frame house, and with less than $500 worth of goods; his prosperity has been marked and rapid; he bought the site of his present place of business and built the store in 1878, and is now doing about the leading jewelry business of the city, besides having acquired his home, No. 20 West Columbia street, and several other properties. Mr. Fried is a member of Ephraim Lodge, I. O. O. F., of which he was Treasurer eleven years, and is also a member of the Encampment, being Junior Captain; he is a member of Clark Lodge of F. & A. M. ; the order of United American Mechanics; Improved Order of Red Men, and the Murphy Club; he is, last, but not least, a member of good standing of the First Presbyterian Church, and one of its Trustees, and a member of the City Council for the Second Ward. Mr. Fried is wide-awake, progressive, public-spirited, and right abreast of the times, thoroughly a self-made man, and one whom all like.

williamkapp.tripod.com/id25.htm

FRIED CHAS. C., Practical Watch Maker, Jeweler and Op-
tician; keeps constantly on hand a Large Assortment of
Watches, Clocks, Jewelry and Silverware; Repairing
Watches a Specialty, 6 E. Main; Residence, 183 S. Lime

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Hi there,

More text and some neat pics on C.C. Fried can be found at:

C.C. Fried

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Bill,
It sure seems that Mr. Fried was one of the good guys. Always enjoy the information that you find regarding these private label watches. Smile
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Sparky Ann Elizabeth Riddle
posted
Thank you Mr. Kapp for teaching us more of the history.

I like reading these stories.

Sparky Smile

Posts: 60 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
Sparky,

When my son was young, we motorhomed across the country several times. We visited museums, natl monuments,parks. I have always liked history and reading about olden times.

Apparantly I passed it on to him. He is a high school history teacher today.

Its nice if you can turn things you like in life into your hobby or vocation.

Best wishes,

Bill Kapp

posted
One more time!

While not of a horological nature, I just obtained a silver spoon with the retailers name of C.C. Fried on it.

these Ball retailers were substantial men and the watch inspection and sales were only a fraction of their business. In the two local ads that Mr Fried runs, he emphasizes the jewelry end of the business.

It occurs to me that as Ball was spending a lot of time setting up the inspection system and traveling to different cities to put together his group of inspector jewelers, that men of this substance would make likely partners in his Watch companies. The disapearance of PL watches pretty much coincides with the failure of the RRWCO venture in 1897.

A jewelers journal of 1897 according to Robert P winslow in bulletin 310 states that Ball had 10 partners in that venture. According to the article it was incorporated in Columbus Ohio.

anyone have copies of Jewelers journal from around november 1897 or know how to search the incorporation records of Columbus?

I would love to find something that shows the inspector/jewelers and Ball were partners.

Happy hunting,

bill Kapp

spoon

posted
one more pic

Happy hunting

ccfried