Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Train Depots of Yesteryear! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here's three I have from Waltham, Mass.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted

Picture of Brian C.
posted
And one of South Station, Boston with a Waltham Clock.

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Cool postcards Brian! Especially love the last one you posted! Thanks

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Yes Brian I really liked the one of the Waltham on the South Boston Station. Here is one of the Grand Canyon Railway Station

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Is that the one located at Williams, AZ, Larry?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Mark:

The Grand Canyon Railway runs 64 miles from Williams, Arizona to its terminus at Grand Canyon Village on the South rim. Built in 1901 by the Acheson Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad it started service on September 17, but due to lack of business service closed in 1968. Reopened in 1989 by private investors, it continues operations today, albeit minus steam operations that were discontinued in 2008. This photo was taken at the Grand Canyon Village terminus.

Larry

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Very good. I was aware of the history, and offer one correction...they resurrected steam for special events starting last month. So though all diesel motive power now, they still have one live steamer that they'll now roll out for specific events.

http://www.thetrain.com/Steam-Event-7275.html

They ended steam operations as an 'environmental' decision....but have converted one engine to operate on used cooking oil! The more french fries you now buy at the station, the better the chances to get the steam engine out for a run! (grins) Big Grin

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Thanks for the update and link, Mark. It was great to see the old steam locomotive in operation again. Big Grin

It would be nice if other engines around the country could be converted, as this one, to run on recycled vegetable oil. There will always be a fascination with the big, old machines. Doing so could bring on board another generation of railroad fans who, until now, have probably only seen them in pictures.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Mark:

I would hardly call running one steam engine on special occasions a return to steam service. At Williams they had a first-class steam locomotive shop that employed many skilled tradesmen doing restoration, and maintaining the fleet of steam locomotives. I wouldn't think they would be retained to look after diesel operations. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Larry

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here's a postcard of the Grand Trunk depot in Portland, ME, close to where I grew up.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Edward:

Great postcard view of the Grand Trunk station in Portland, Maine. I wonder if the tower ever had a clock in it.

Larry

posted
Larry,
I wanted to get this in before Tom does, and the Saturday football games begin. haha!
Yes, the Portland station had a bell tower as early as 1906. I'd say it was built with a clock tower, but I'll leave the date of its construction to a real sleuth. See picture below.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I understand what you're saying Larry. I don't like what they did or HOW they did it... but considering their original plan was to either scrap all steamers in the shop, leaving one gutted engine on static display at Williams, or this... at least it's better than their original plan.

Regards! Mark

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
We took the family and grandkids to Williams to take the train trip to the Grand Canyon in 2006....It was quite a trip and on the ride up to the canyon there was a train holdup (staged of course) and it scared the bejesus out of all the youngsters on the train....

The train robbers boarded the train four or five cars away from the car we were riding on and you could hear the kids yelling a screaming as they made their way from car to car coming closer to our car....

We happened to have the Sheriff in our car and when the robbers made their entrance in our car the Sheriff did a quick draw and shot the robbers and then all hades broke loose from the kids....they really thought everything was real and it really did scare them to death....It took 30 min. or so for everything to settle down so the train could continue on to the canyon....

If I can find any photos of that trip I'll post some....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
In my search for my Great Uncle, telegrapher for the B&O S-W in South Webster and Sciotoville, Ohio in the early 1900's, I came across this website.

You Buckeyes may enjoy seeing these:

http://www.west2k.com/ohstations/stations.htm

Regards! Mark

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Edward this might bring back some memories for you.

Grand Trunk passenger terminal at the corner of Commercial and India Streets about 1957. Built in 1903 a 91 foot clock tower once stood above the center arch. Under the canopy Its granite base was still in place and holding the station sign. The clock tower was removed in 1948 and the station was torn down in March 1966.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Grand Trunk, Portland, Maine Station platform side

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The waiting room with the doors to the platforms on the right. The ticket counter and telegraph office or on the extreme right.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy station at Deadwood Gulch, South Dakota October 2000.

posted
Pueblo Union Depot, Pueblo, Colorado.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Salida, Colorado depot circa 1890 ( I remember walking down to the rebuilt modern Rio Grande depot in the 70's to go fishing with my grandfather in the arkansas river. Depot was demolished sometime in the 80's I think.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Same depot, trackside circa 1880

posted
Las Vegas, New Mexico depot

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
One of my favorite places, John Henry (Doc) Holliday, The Earps, Bat Masterson & others came & went from the train there on many occasions, except it was an earlier station I think

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Oh, I also forgot, Jessie James & Billy the Kid came & went from there, along with Teddy Roosevelt & the Rough Riders.

Also forgot the friend of Doc's William Leonard, the jeweler turned stage coach bandit.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
WOW! Don't you wish THOSE walls could talk?!! Eek

I don't think there was a prettier outline than a wagon top 4-6-2 Pacific like the one shown at that station either.

Regards! Mark

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
My hometown Niles, in Fremont, CA

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
The Niles Depot

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Amtrak passing through

posted
Stephanie,
Here's the link to the history. Niles Depot Thanks everyone for your interest in these historical depots. RR

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here's a postcard showing the B & O Railroad's maintenance depot & locomotive repair shops at Grafton, WV, circa 1913.

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004