Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Train Depots of Yesteryear! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
We all know railroad watches are highly collectible. Many of our members exclusively collect railroad watches!

I recently began snapping pictures of old train depots while out of town as a result of seeing and even collecting those old railroad watches.

I'd like to take you through Times Zones by way of train depots of yesteryear. Feel free to add to my fledgling collection of old train depots. I've also included a little research regarding their history. Hopefully you will do the same!

My first is the Ocean Springs, Mississippi L & N Depot (Louisville & Nashville). The L & N Depot was constructed as a combination station in late 1907 and early 1908. It was not the original depot. The L & N Railroad ceased operating at this site on April 20, 1965. The structure was included on the National Regisiter of Historic Places in 1979.

Today, the old Ocean Springs L & N Depot houses the Chamber of Commerce and several retail businesses. Take a look!

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Front view of Ocean Springs L & N Depot

posted
The next depot is the historic L & N Train Depot in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

c. 1928
The two story, mission style depot is surrounded by park-like grounds and was featured in several films in years past. Today, the restored depot is available for citizens, non-profit, and private groups. Bay St. Louis historic depot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is desiginated as a Mississippi Landmark. The Bay St. Louis Depot currently serves Amtrak's Sunset Limited.

posted
Front view

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Hi Steph, It is a really fun hobby. I have done it for years. The style of some of these old depots is great.

Tom

posted
Tom H.
By all means, please do share your old train depot pics with info. to this thread.

If others have old depot pics as well, we'll love to see them and hear about them!

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
HISteph, I would post if I could. All of mine are prints and I don't have a scanner.

Tom

posted
Hi Tom,
Believe it or don't, you can take digital pictures of your prints and they do come out incredibly good. Try it!

Others who would like to share their train depots as well?

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Stephanie,

Got a chance to play with my new camera today and took a picture of the local Burlington Depot which was recently restored. The Depot is divided into three areas. One area is used by the police department, one by the local model RR club and another can be rented for meetings, lunches, receptions, etc...

Rhett

Rhett Lucke

Burlington Depot

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Stephanie,

You always start the best topics. Thanks for this great idea!

Here is a current picture of the Union Pacific Railroad Depot in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was built in about 1902.

This depot is much like the one that Rhett shared, in that it can be rented for meetings, wedding receptions, etc...

I will be adding a link to the photo gallery to show some very interesting history and pictures of this old depot.

Union Pacific RailRoad Depot in SLC, Ut.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the Smith's Creek Depot. It is the one Thomas Edison worked from when the famour "Got pulled from the boxcar by his ear" story took place.

Today it is at Greenfield Village, and is still and active AMTRAK station. You may get off at the Village, and then you must buy a ticket to enter the Village. They will take care of your luggage, and arrange for transportation to your hotel.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Also stopping at the station is the steam engine pulled tourist train that goes around the village.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've GOT to invest in a camera. I discovered an abandoned station in Kelso, Tennessee this past weekend along an abandoned right of way of the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railroad from Winchester TN to Fayetteville TN. The building is empty, but still has it's name board on the side. The tracks have been gone for years. I'm surprised the station is still around, but was pleased to find it. I HAVE to get some photos to share. Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is the train station for Chelsea, MI. It is no longer in use as a train station. It stands across from the Glazier Stove Co. clocktower (pictures posted in the clock section).

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The other side of the station.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Station information.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
If I stand in the same spot and point the camera in the opposite direction I would see the Jiffy Mix Company. A brand popular around here, don't know if it is in your area, although I believe it is distributed nationwide.

Tom

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
The GM&O depot in Mobile, Ala.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
More

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Another view

Sam Williamson

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Red Wing, Minnesota. Currently serves as a visitors center and Amtrack depot.

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
UP Depot in Omaha, now houses the Western Heritage Museum.

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Dedication above the entrance.

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Anyone else like these old depots? Below is the Rock Island depot in Council Bluffs, IA. Currently houses a small museum and model railroad display.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...here pictured is the RR station in Kingsville, Ontario Canada (my soon-to-be new hometown)...designed & built at the turn of the last century by Albert Kahn (a renowned Detroit architect)for Hiram Walker(of Canadian Club fame)...the station, recently restored to it's original splendor, was the terminus of 50km of track (track was 'pulled up' in '52 and the bed converted to a 50 km 'walkway/bike path') from Walkerville, Ontario (a then suburb of Windsor; just across the border from Detroit MI) laid by him to this lakeside (Lake Erie) town where he welcomed guests from the States to a resort he had built here in Kingsville ('Mettawas Inn'; lost to fire in 1932)...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...also, a photo of the rear of the station where guests embarked to be driven to the Inn at the lakeside via carriages stationed at this 'carriage way'...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...and the 'waiting rotunda' at the station...it should be noted too, that while the train and station served Walker's 'guests' it also served his 'corporate interests' as well as it returned w/the rye and other grains farmed in the countryside and needed at his distillery in Walkerville....

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Great topic:
This station is in Havelock, Ontario, Canada.
It is on a section of highway that takes you to southern Ontario (from where I live). It used to be a major route before the big highways. It was built in 1929 was abandoned in the 1980’s (I think) and sat empty until last year. Every time I drove by the abandoned building I would think, what a great sport for a museum or restaurant. Well that is what happened. A private investor purchased the building and spent $250K updating it. It is now a great restaurant where you can sit and watch trains go by! Picture before..

Grant Perry

Before

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Picture after

Grant Perry

After

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
A pic of the L & N Train Depot in Foley, Alabama

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
What a great thread as I totally enjoyed it. I do not have any around my area so I have nothing to share. I know there are more out there that members have pics of. Thanks Stephanie another great thread.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Northern Kansas

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
This is the old St Louis Southwestern, AKA Cotton Belt railroad in my home town, Sulphur Springs, TX. It now belongs to the Blacklands short line railroad. The Cotton Belt is my original railroad. Railroaders are usually identified with their original road. In other words, even though I now work for UP, I am known as a Cotton Belt Man.

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006