Page 1 2 3 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HAMILTON 992B STOLEN! ***(Check Arrived)*** "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I sure did not know about the low insurance value of watches with FedEx. I have heard before that the safest way is to send it overnight. I know if people have to ship firearms FedEx and UPS only will do it overnight to keep employees from stealing it.

Now I have a watch with high emotional value that I want to send to Chris for repair. I am not sure if I should send it registered or overnight to be safe and sure it makes it. I know I would be in huge trouble with the wife if I did not insure it and it got stolen on its way.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jeff

What Chris has me do is mail it registered, it takes longer but it is signed for within the postal system every step of the way & is kept locked up.

In case you don't know you have to use brown paper tape on all seams so it can be stamped when you mail it, you can not use glossy brown tape either, the stamp will just smear off.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom.. I did not know about only using paper tape for that.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Jeff. I understand your reluctance to not insure.
Just send it registered as Tom has suggested. Be prepared for a longer than usual delivery time. The last experience I had with registered, had us worried because it took about 10 days. Quite frankly I prefer 1st class with delivery confirmation. A fraction of the cost, even though you still have that nagging suspicion that something will happen. Confused

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I know one thing, when I send my Maiden Lane out, it will be Registered for sure.

and.............

I'm also going to talk to my insurance agent about what I should do about all this "moving watches around" and the amount of insurance I really need for my watches.

I've always had Homeowners insurance, and done special "add ons" for special items, and covered my watches too, but why I didn't think of my "Special Watches" is beyond me. I would suspect that they would need special coverage, and I have no idea how they feel about having to mail them out for service or repair.

Anyone have any ideas about it, before I call Joe?

Sheila

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila,
You might want to ask if they all have to be appraised, and also have a bill of sale.
Insurance companies are always happy to take your money, it's the paying off they have a problem with.
Brian C.

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Here is what you need for insurance for the home . www.collectinsure.com . I have it for bottles , valuables etc. You pick the coverage and pay the premium .It is the best . Mike

posted
Mike,
It sounded so good, the web you said you use, but unfortunately one of the exclusions they list is watches. It sure sounds good for most other things though.
Bill

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I see a few posts up a criticism of the USPS Small Flat Rate Box. I've received no less than 6 in the last three months and let me tell you that opening them is a pain in the butt!! That glue sticks so well it's unbelievable. Friday I received a Medium Flat Rate Box , a size I thought I might re-use,so I decided to open the flap carefully so as to save the box. Well after 10 minutes trying to get the flap open ,I gave up and pulled the pull-zip opener in frustration. I think you could though open the flap by heating it with a hairdryer. I personally think the chance of one falling open is less than 1/100 of one percent and that they are a pretty good product. Now if you put a few rounds of fiber or some call it filament tape around them they should be bulletproof except for deliberate cutting of the fiber-tape and forced opening. .