• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Special Information? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello All,I run across a neat looking watch today and wanted an expert opinion before buying.I have done clocks for years and I do have around 20 pocket watches but never really got into them like the clocks.But the one I saw today really caught my eye and would like to get your imput.I will describe it the best I can,since I can't get my cell phone pictures to tranfer(yet).It is an Illinois Bunn special 21 jewel,60 hr.,perfect double sunk dial,the unique part of this watch was the case(silver,and looked as nice as you could find),but had a clear crystal in the back where you could see the movement,stamped into the rim on the back around the crystal was "Illinois Watch Co..On the front side was the same"Illinois Watch Co. around the rim of the crystal,with the addition of Springfeild Ill. as well.Serial # is 5094777,does this watch sound like it is has been messed with? Was wondering if the $450. price tag is out of line for it?I have a Hamilton 21 jewell watch that looks pretty ordinary compared to the Bunn, and is the reason it grabbed my attention.I will try to get my pictures posted of the watch in question as soon as I can,I know it's hard to go by a physical description.Thanks,Tin

Posts: 22 | Location: Camdenton, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: February 19, 2005
posted
It sounds to me like you have found a 21 jewel 60 hour movement that is housed in a factory display case........

IMHO, this particular movement in its manufacturing timeframe of 1928 was only sent from the factory cased in a "Bunn Special" case.... without a glass back not a display case.

The display case like you describe was used to send movements to the jeweler before the introduction of factory cased watches..... (and there is some overlap) we have seen some of these with movement tags in serial number range of 4.4 million...

These display cases have a snap fit front and rear bezel and make setting a lever set watch more difficult......

It also sounds like the display case has been made from two different cases, as most I have seen have Identical logos on the front and rear bezels....... the logo changed over the years.

I won't comment on price at this time.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Hello Kent,

Welcome to Chapter 185, I'm pleased to see you're having a good time!

That Bunn Special number 5094777 is most probably a 21-Jewel Type III variant of which 86,000 were produced. It would have "Sixty Hour" above Bunn Special on the train bridge, and "Motor Barrel, 21 Jewels" near the winding wheel. As Terry pointed out, most collectors expect a Bunn Special of that vintage to be in a Bunn Special case. However, movements in sample cases are very popular, we can show off the watch movement without exposing it to dust, lint and such... it also keeps drool out of the movement! Wink

You're looking at a good watch, but the $450.00 price sounds a little high to me. Current Shugart Price Guide shows 400 / 500 / 900 and of course those prices assume it is correctly cased. Another important point is the dial and hands, they too must be correct. You asked if the watch has been messed with and yes, it sounds like it probably has. Just for fun, I put a similar movement in a sample case and you'll see it below. See if that one is essentially similar. Hope we've been of some help in your decision making.

Bunn Specials are indeed special, they look real good under glass...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Terry and Lindell,
This is just the information I was looking for,and yes it is just like the one pictured.As I said before I do have a few watches but not really being into them like clocks I have never researched them to see what they are.But the Illinois just jumped out at me yesterday and thought I would see what you all thought,the sample cases are really neat.Thanks,you have been a great help.Tin

Posts: 22 | Location: Camdenton, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: February 19, 2005