Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

23 jewel Illinois Bunn Special questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hello all,

I have had this watch for maybe 20 years now. I bought it for $50 from the owner of a clock repair shop where I was employed at the time. I believe that the case is original and the serial# dates the watch to 1923 but I know little else about it. I see many 21 & 23 jewel Bunn Specials that are of the later 60 hour variety but I never see the earlier 23 jewel models around much. It's a great timepiece and I wear it often. It hasn't been cleaned for maybe 5 years but still holds a rate of +/- 10 seconds a week! The movement is just mint and the dial too.

My questions: How many 23 jewel 16s Bunn Specials were made before the 60 hour watches were introduced? Is this a valuable or rare watch?
Many thanks. Here are some images:

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
William,

There were about 13,000 of your watch made between 1918 and 1924. All the 23 jewel Bunn Special models seem to command top dollar and yours looks to be in exceptional condition. Hard to put a price on it but I would say middle or better value of the price guide would be fair.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
William

I agree with Steve, that is a very nice looking Bunn & great photos too I might add.

Also yours is the rayed (forth) pattern with the red filled engraving. It has the gold balance screws & train wheels. It is the model 11 made in 25 runs.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Using the "Antique Roadshow" approach, "I would insure your beauty for $1500.00". The case, Condition and performance surely makes it worth much more to you as an instrument of time. Some of these hmay have been fitted with 48 hour barrels, you might check that out.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Steve, Tom & David,

Thanks for the answers. I will probably never sell this watch since it has been my favorite carry timepiece for many years. I used to do a lot of collecting but not so much now, so I've lost touch with current values, etc. The last price guide I had was 1995 and I can't even find it anymore! Maybe it's time to order a new one.

Anyway, I get a thrill from carrying and using my antique 23 jewel Illinois watch knowing that in its day, it was among the very best instruments of its type that money could buy. I am also glad that fine Bunn Specials seem to have survived in great numbers so that others can enjoy them too.

By the way, the movement picture was taken by me for a photography lighting class project that I did here at City College in SF a few years ago. It came out pretty nice but it took a while to set it up!

William