• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help to ID watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just bought this on e-bay. It is a Swiss size 20,movement 785630, Swiss special, case 0314502.The movement is lever set with screw on front and back. The movement and dial are marked PRW Co. Is this a real railroad watch? I am a beginner at collecting and repair so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

railroad watch PR&WCo

Posts: 6 | Location: Leesport, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2012
posted
Another view

railroad watch P&RWCo

Posts: 6 | Location: Leesport, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2012
posted
Full view. Is this a barrel type movement

railroad watch P&RWCo

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Kevin

I can't tell for sure from your photos but you watch maybe be what is called a Swiss fake. If you search the site for swiss fake you will find many examples of them. We have all bought one along the line.

I am not sure what you mean by your question about it being a barrel type movement.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Hi Kevin, I researched the eBay sale and have all good news for you!
1. At $40.00 and change your "lesson" was not too expensive. Actually the watch might be repairable!
2. The case is very interesting, as I have not seen that Trademark before. It is certainly worth what you paid for the auction.
3. A new Crystal is available from one of our very own; William White, White's Crystals. You can reach him at;
info@whitescrystals.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The "Giveaway" for many "Swiss Fakes" is the Uncut Balance wheel, and as you learn more about the other parts, you can also see the Micro-Regulator is very crude. That all said, this watch is amazing because of the great lengths someone went to to make it "look" American. Had they spent the same time just making a nice watch I think that it would have sold equally well or better.
It would be fun to try and get it running again.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks for the help. I will give the watch a good cleaning (It`s filthy) and see what happens. The balance seems OK and a visual check on the outside looks like the jewels are good but dirty. Thanks again. Kevin S

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Kevin in my part of the country watches like yours were often (in the politically incorrect days of my youth) called Gypsy watches or peddlers watches. They were sold to the gullable as high grade watches. Many are found with large red or blue glass "jewels" that are non functional but catch your eye. They are an interesting area of watch collecting and some still work!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009