• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Choice of dials for a 21j railroad watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
If you had a 21j RR approved watch like an Elgin 16s 375 Veritas and you know they came with a double sunk dial with 5min markers but at extra cost you could also get a single sunk Montgomery style dial or a double sunk Montgomery style dial.

If you had the choice between the standard DS with 5min markers or a SS Montgomery style dial both in the same condition what would your choice be?

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, if it were my choice I'd go for the Montgomery dial hands down.Elgin made nice looking Montgomery's, single or double sunk.My 18s 240 grade BWR has a perfect DS Montgomery, looks just like the 16s versions.Personally, I also like the extra bold "49" dials They have no red 5 min. marks, but have the heavy black diamond shapes at the 5 min. markers, they look much like a Waltham RR dial...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I do not have an Elgin Veritas but carry a Hamilton 992B with a double sunk Monty dial. I like that I don't have to guess at what time it is. I can quickly look at it and have question as to the time. So that is a choice of functionality. Now for looks I like the Monty with 5 min marks because it looks cleaner but still has function. I also prefer DS over SS but if the brand scripting is nice then SS is fine, but the added depth of the DS dial just looks nicer to me. More effort was taken to make it I think and I appreciate that. But of course, that is just me. I can not speak to the value of getting one dial or the other based on the watch you have. You can always get one of each Wink
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
I would go with the Montgomery SS dial.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010