Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is Mineral Glass? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
This question comes up a lot in my line of work and I think it's time to bring clarity to this commonly used/misused term.

There are no glass manufacturers on the planet that produce a specific glass formulation called "mineral glass". It is simply a term used after the glass has been processed into watch crystals primarily. Mineral glass is a general but accurate description for all types of glass made using the basic silica/soda/lime formula, whatever the glass type may be. The only glass-like materials that are probably not associated with the mineral designation are sapphire and fused quartz but in reality, they are mineral too! The type of glass that has most commonly been referred to as 'mineral' over the years is the post 1940's US and European made low-iron clear drawn thin sheet glass used for microscopy, photography and watch crystals. In my work I use fine optical crown glass, low iron float glass and borosilicate and even though they are technically "mineral", I don't call them that and neither do the giant factories that make them.

So today this really isn't an issue of deliberate misinformation as much as it is an issue of antiquated marketing lore and legend .... especially in the watch world. Glass is mineral ...and mineral is glass by a different name.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1954
posted
I have always wondered about that.i have read in adds that state that and didn't really know what they were talking about.thanks for the info.Vic

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
IHC Member 1959
posted
Excellent and knowledgeable as usual thank you William.
JMF

Posts: 340 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So the term is similar to the distinctions implied by calling only some food "Organic"! Razz

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Or calling steak "Meat Steak'

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
William, why is safety glass apparently not used in say sheet glass that would be used in the manufacture of watch crystals ? Is it to do with cost prohibitive or ? I realize personal injuries would be minimal, but what about damage a shattered crystal sometimes does to a $100+ dial ?

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Buster,

Once glass is tempered, either by heat or chemical ion exchange process, it can not be further processed without the temper being lost. For example if you take a typical heat tempered glass shower door and try to cut a watch crystal from it, you will end up with about 1,500,000 tiny shower doors on the bathroom floor. Tempering of watch crystals is done chemically and only after the crystals are finished. From my understanding, crystals that have been chemically hardened do not break in the same way as the shower door, they are just physically harder, stronger and more resistant to scratching or breaking than the same glass untreated. As far as I know, it is not possible to heat temper something as thin and small as a watch crystal. The result of tempering is that the outer layers of the glass are under great compressive strain in relation to the center and this results in a denser, harder and less penetrable surface.

William

Picture of Clark Reed
posted
I have seen some eBay sellers call non-plastic watch crystals as "Carbon Glass" and wondered if that, too is a way to differentiate a type of glass from another.

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Clark,

I remember seeing that one too. There's never been such a thing as far as I know.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
quote:
antiquated marketing lore and legend. Glass is mineral ...and mineral is glass by a different name.

Well that explains that !! I went in an "Antique Shoppe" the other day and they tried to buy me Frown

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009