Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 932 Dial Repairs "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Just curious...

Wondering what the folks who have done serious dial repair think about this one on a 941 Hamilton.

Is it too far gone? Frown

Very interested in using the valuable info posted to conduct a repair

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Jon, the first thing I would do is check the availability of this dial on eBay — either as an individual dial, or a parts watch. I am not a Hamilton watch expert, so I don't know if this dial is rare, or not. If it is fairly common, I would go find another dial. On the other hand, if you are looking for a challenge, this dial should provide it. Some of the difficulties I see here are the same as what I faced in restoring my little Rolex dial. The first is the matching of the color of the dial with an appropriate white paint. I bought 6 different products before I found a white that matched my dial. The second problem is trying to get the large section by the "4" perfectly flat. Once that is done, you have to polish the white topcoat without fading any surrounding graphics like the number "4," and the red "60" and "25." Finally, the biggest challenge will be putting the graphics back into place, with the red "20" being the hardest (hope you're a good artist!). If I had the option of buying another enamel 1920's Rolex dial with Roman chapters I would have done it in minute, but they just aren't available. Good luck, whichever way you choose to go.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This is just an update on my little Rolex. I thought I would have it all together today, but decided to order a new crystal prior to putting the movement in the case. This has a hinged case, and installing the crystal with the movement in place would have been difficult, and potentially harmful to the restored dial. You Rolex purists out there will be quick to notice that the new hands aren't correct for a Rolex, but I decided to exercise a little "artistic license" and use what worked for me Cool

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008

posted
Bruce -

Thanks for the information... These dials are still available; however, they are rising into the 100$ range for a "perfect" dial.

I fully understand the paint matching and getting the "new" layers perfect challenge, but would like to try in the future.

V/r

Jon

IHC Life Member
posted
Jon, it sounds like you are up for the challenge! I would say go for it. What is great about Lindell's approach to filling the damaged areas is that it is reversible. If it doesn't turn out just right, just dig it out and try again. On the two test dials that I practiced on, I dug the repairs out a number of times. After gaining some confidence, I attacked the Rolex. If you get into this seriously, be sure to let us know if you have found any products or techniques that improve upon what's been presented so far. Thanks. Smile

posted
I have used DAP brand bright white bathroom caulk to fill in small chips that do not include numbers or lettering. After dried, I gingerly take a new razor blade over it to level it off.

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Mark, do you need to polish it after slicing it level with the razor blade?

IHC Life Member
posted
I finally got the old Rolex back together. Time to start wearing it! Cool

posted
Lqqking good!

IHC Member 1357
posted
A beauty!!

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010