Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info/Help: 23 Jewel Bunn Special (pls/thx) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Cook
posted
Hello everyone, I'm new to all this but always been interested in old railway pocket watches. On a recent trip to Mexico I came across this Bunn Special I couldn't pass it up. It looks great but is it too good to be true? I've tried to find info online but can't quite find anything that matches. Any help you guys can give me with info like authenticity, model type/history, rarity, value, etc etc etc would be greatly appreciated!

The outside of the case has a etching of a train with leaves, kind of hard to see. The dial is just marked "Illinois" and 24hrs.

Inside the case is marked:
"Star Case Watch Company" (around a star logo);
"10K Rolled Gold Plate";
"4028539" (i think, the s/n is quite worn).

On the works:
"Bunn Special" (scripted);
"Illinois Watch Co Spring field";
"Adjusted Temp and Six Positions";
"Motor Barrel";
23 Jewels";
"Double Roller";
"3731382" (s/n)

There appears to be another marking under the tear drop shaped part beside where it says motor barrel, but I can't make it out and am not about to fiddle with the parts.

These picks were just some quick shots with my phone but I can break out the good camera and take some better detailed shots if you'd like. Let me know. And thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!

dial1

Posts: 8 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 21, 2013
Picture of Greg Cook
posted

dial2

Picture of Greg Cook
posted

case

Picture of Greg Cook
posted

case2

Picture of Greg Cook
posted

guts

Picture of Greg Cook
posted

guts2

IHC Member 1016
posted
I'm no expert, but, it appears it was made prior to the 60 hour mainspring innovation. It also pre-dates the need for it to be in a "Bunn Special" case. I'm not sure about that dial color. It could be from filth, or it could be a paper overlay or even metal. Depending on what you paid, it may be a good buy. That also depends on what you want. Some only want near perfect examples, others just are ok with examples. Hard to tell too much without better photos. I like it.

Model 11
1920 production
16s
It is RR Grade and if the dial is enamel it should clean up. The 24 hr marking seem to be after market and they may fade or disappear.

There are many here who know so much. Perhaps the experts will chime in.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Greg,

What you have appears to an Illinois Metal Dial to which the red numbers were added, it could be rubber stamp or hand work, both were done back then, remember these were just "tools of the trade" and as some mechanics throw their wrenches on the concrete there are those who keep them clean and polished.

It was common to refinish metal dials when watches were serviced, yours was likely refinished as the 5 and 7 numerals "intrude" into the seconds register something Illinois did not do but some other manufacturers such as Elgin did. Hard for us to believe, but that particular metal dial was popular and would originally have "silver-dust" rubbed into a rough surface in effort to make it easier to see the bold numbers in low-light conditions.

Your movement number 3731382 is a "Fourth Pattern Rayed" and dates to 1920 production as Mike already pointed out. And yes, that pre-dates both "60-Hour" and factory Bunn Special cases by about four years.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Cook
posted
Thank you Mike and Lindell for the great information! I'm hoping to get it cleaned up and working properly again. I'm happy to know its not a fake but I would agree the face is probably a refinish. I'm happy with that but what do you think the value would be? Not that I want to sell it just am curious to know that I didnt get taken for a ride as this is my first purchase of this kind and really know nothing. I took a chance and got it for aprox. $150.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Greg,

Because of the altered metal dial and the damaged case (looks like somebody tried to try the movement out of it at some point), I'd value your watch at $300-400 as it sits right now, so you did alright at $150.

If you decide to get it serviced and were to upgrade the case and dial, the value could go as high as $750 IMHO.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Greg Cook
posted
Thanks Ed, thats good news!. I'd love to get it serviced and working properly again but as for getting the the case and dial upgraded I wouldnt know where to start... I'd appreciate a point in the right direction, any suggestions?