• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Yellow Plastic Crystal "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I didn't want to hi-jack Robert's post about his G M Wheeler, but I have a similar situation. The watch at issue is a 992 Hamilton 21j, DR, adj 5 pos, serial# 868012. It is a nice watch and works great and I carry it quite a bit. However, the crystal is yellow, I've never really liked it, but its yellow and I just live with it. Now having read the replies in his thread, I realize that it should be a clear glass not yellow plastic. Now I've had the bezel/ crystal assembly off hundreds of times to lever set the watch and there was never a problem. This time however, as I was tinkering with it, the yellow plastic fell out of the silver bezel. It doesn't want to go back in, and as a result the bezel does not want to screw onto the watch case.
Questions: Does the crystal snap into the bezel or is it glued in, or is it just friction held? How do I get it properly aligned? Is this a good time to replace the yellow plastic with a proper crystal?
I would like to replace it with whatever was in it when it left the factory, or if that is not practical, whatever is the appropriate part.
Where would be the best place to get the proper part, and does it need to be set into the bezel by an expert?
Thank you for your time and effort to help me out on this.

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2013
posted
Hi Jerry

Everytime is the best time to replace those yellow 'crystals'. They doe nothing but damage your watch !

You first have to decide if you like to replace it with a glass crystal (recommended for a collectors watch) or with a modern beveled acrylic crystal which gives a proper protection of the watch and a minimized risk of breaking and is no bad choice for a cayrrying watch.

Plastic crystals are snap fit. They are a hair oversized and inserted with a compression tool.

Other members living localy could advise you better how to proceed than me from far Germany.

It would be helpful it you could specify your watch case.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
If you look in the back section where parts or services are offered you can find someone to replace the crystal. You just need to send the bezel and ship that to them, I like glass but have acrylic crystals on watches that probably came with them and replace them with the same type. Most of the time when you see watches that have badly yellowed crystals, you will see where parts of the hands might be missing, in some case it even rusts the pinions where the pinions are not brass.

As Gerald said, replace it as soon as possible.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Jerry, just thought I'd chime in. William White is the gentleman you seek. Here's a link.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6013713/m/2871042023

Posts: 29 | Location: Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2013
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Jerry, definitely replace that acrylic crystal, I also recommend William White, his crystals are first class and he is great to deal with.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Robert you did yourself a favor when it fell out. William White who I have never bought crystals from but is highly regarded and there is another person here that if you send him your bezel he will install the crystal into your bezel.

Now for the bezel issue you mentioned. The bezel not going back on has nothing to do with the crystal. I feel your problem is when the bezel had the crystal in it the bezel had more rigidity and more surface area to hold onto in order to put the bezel on and off. Now you do not have either the rigidity or the surface area to work with. I find a bezel without a crystal is more difficult to put on. Others may not have this problem but I do. You have to just keep working with it until it goes on. Try cleaning the threads on both the bezel and frame and maybe it will go on a little easier. And whatever you do do not try to force it or you will cross thread the bezel. It is possible that the bezel is already a little cross threaded. I often screw the bezel and the rear cover on counterclockwise to get it seated properly and then screw it on clockwise.

I will also thy to fid a link to the other person on IHC that will install he crystal and if I find it I will post it here.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Harry is probably trying to conjure up Peter Kaszubski. Look in the horological-items-for-sale section for info. Peter is really good about teling you what he has, when he can get it, and where things stand with a crystal replacement.

And yes, dirt is often the culprit for a bezel or cover that doesn't want to cooperate. Also, with snap-on bezels, you will have a time of it if the bezel is out of round, which a missing crystal will accentuate.
kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Whites crystals are the best quality, best price, and best performance! Ask him what the charge is for just sending him your bezel for fitment and return.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Seconded. Because I live not far from William White, I drove up to get a new crystal and watched him make it. He has a very small, buy very cool (and clever) setup. And William is meticulous, so you always get a good result as David says.

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Yes Ken that is who I was thinking of. I have not used either one of them.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Best to let William tell you what he makes or doesn't make, but he doesn't replace all crystals.

Peter doesn't make crystals but he has a large supply and can very often do a replacement with an NOS glass crystal - again not always.
Both are very reasonable, and very nice guys. Put them on your go-to list and keep them in business.
Smile
kh

posted
Tnx big time to all. I have fired off an email to William and anticipate getting a nice glass crystal. This is a real nice watch that keeps perfect time. Since I'm dressing the old girl up, I think I'd like to get her a new face. The current one has quite a few hairline cracks and one major repair spot that looks bad. Can anyone give testimony as to a good source for one of those fancy porcelain faces that are so beautifully elaborate.

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2013
posted
The guys are right on about yellow crystals in the early 70's I got a Illinois that half the hands were eaten off. Jeff

Posts: 75 | Location: Arkansas in the USA | Registered: March 06, 2010