Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 25 Jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I stopped at an antique store yesterday. They had a size 16 Waltham 25 jewel watch for sale. The dial was signed Waltham with 25 under it. The movement was signed Waltham and 25 jewels. I did not buy it. When I got home I looked the watch up in the Complete Price Guide to Watches. I could not find a listing for the watch. I did a search on our web page and only found a comment about a possible fake watch.

Did Waltham make a 16 size 25 jewel watch or do you think it might be a swiss fake?

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Ernie,

You might want to check the movement very carefully.

My suspicion is this will turn out to be essentially a "post-Waltham" watch meaning a Waltham in name only. There were some otherwise inconsequential watches made in Switzerland as well as some very good ones after the major US companies were essentially gone but with their names on them.

Since there were no genuine 25-Jewel Waltham Railroad Grade American Pocket Watches I expect it would turn out to be disappointing. More than likely an adequate timekeeper and for a collector that wants to have every Waltham ever made it could be an interesting carry-watch.

Here is a topic where we discussed what I would call the most outrageous "Waltham" ever...

CLICK TO SEE: THE 100-JEWEL WALTHAM AUTOMATIC

While we are on the subject of high jewel-counts and since you and I collect South-Bends consider that when members of the Studebaker Family acquired Columbus Watch in 1902 you are aware some Columbus designs were reworked as South-Bend First Models. But even though Columbus had marketed 25-Jewel movements and therefore South-Bend easily could have but they decided not to. Half a decade would pass before their first 21-Jewel watch a 21-Jewel "The Studebaker" was introduced.

Smart buyers went for the lower priced 17-Jewel version and passed on paying extra for four cap jewels that did nothing to improve the timekeeping abilities of the watch. I could go on and on about how a 19-Jewel Bunn is identical to a 23-Jewel Bunn Special except for four unnecessary cap jewels but you get the point, big numbers in jewel-counting are silly.

That's this man's opinion, let's see what you and others say.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I'm not a big fan of cap jewels, but lets be fair, they do help to keep out dust and dirt from the pivots.
Ernie, you were wise to pass on the Swiss Waltham.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002