Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Up & Down - and round and round "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
With Regionals coming up in the not so far distance, Smile I may consider purchasing an up and down wind indicator railroad watch. Do I need to get my money ready on this one? Roll Eyes

Any suggestions as to what to look for, what not to look for in purchasing an up/down wind indicator watch? Confused I don't want to invest too very much money either. Do I have a chance a getting a nice example for a fair price? Confused I know, I know, fair price is all relative, right?

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Stephanie,

Although they tend to run somewhat higher than their smaller counterparts, I personally like the 18's indicators much more than the 16's. Of these, the 92 model Vanguards are IMHO the nicest - Unless you want to spring big money for an 18's Rockford. The 18's Elgin's are a bit less expensive if price becomes an issue.

If you like 16's, I would go with the earlier Elgin's over the more common Vanguards. The Rockford's are popular, but hard to find with good dials and working indicator gears.

In the end, try to hold out for condition as there always seems to be plenty for sale.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Stephanie,

If you are looking to get an up-down wind indicator into your collection at a modest cost and are hoping for a mint or near-mint example too, a Waltham Vanguard 23-J is probably your best bet. They are reasonably plentiful in nice condition at reasonable prices, well reasonable for a wind indicator anyway.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Stephanie -

I agree with Rhett & Ed - good advice all. However, I'm somewhat biased... inasmuch that it was the restoration of my dad's Vanguard 23j with an inoperative wind indicator that sparked my interest in collecting railroad grade PWs.

Just FYI, I've been tracking the Vanguard 23j wind indicators on eBay for the past few months out of curiosity & to get a "feel" for market value. As far as your budget planning, I've found the prices as indicated in Shugart's to be pretty much on target for what I've experienced on eBay as well as marts, shows, & elsewhere on various internet websites.

BTW, a Waltham 21j Crescent Street wind indicator would also be a nice choice for you to consider for about the same $$.

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
posted
Rhett, Edward P. & Jim McKinney,

Thanks for sharing your opinions and thoughts on the subject. I'll keep in mind your suggestions!

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Stephanie,

Like buying a car or a piece of furniture adding a new area of collection also involves serious price considerations. Figure out what price range you are in to start with. All the information you read above is good. Each of us have a different angle on "up-and-downs" but there are also some basic facts to deal with.

You might want to start out with lower priced ones as part of the learning process. Generally the 16-size examples are priced lower and are more plentiful than 18s so they are perhaps the logical place to start. Consider that only three domestic producers actually built RR Grade Wind Indicators or "WI" watches. They were Elgin, Rockford and Waltham. Personally, I love "Rockford Indicators" but probably not as a first WI as it is worthwhile to realize they are somewhat higher priced than most Elgin and Waltham examples.

Elgin B.W Raymonds represent good value as do Waltham Vanguards. The most "bang for the buck" might be the Waltham 23-Jewel Vanguard. They are usually available starting around the $750.00 area, but don't be surprised if a nice one is priced over a thousand. Like in any purchase always go for condition, the lowest price is rarely if ever the best deal. Pay a little more to get a nice one, it is always best to buy one that needs nothing but a new owner because service and repairs can quickly take the bloom off the rose.

Several of our members are watch sellers and would be worthy of your consideration.

Hope this gets you started,

Lindell

The 21-Jewel Grade 655 "Rockford Indicator" is hard to resist...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
There's a Cr Street Indicator on ebay now.

Charlie

posted
Lindell,
Thanks for the good advice! Will keep everything you stated in mind!
BTW - Your Rockford WI is awesome! Cool
Very, very nice Lindell. Thanks for sharing your wonderful watch with us! I certainly enjoyed viewing it!

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Hey, Lindell.....

What are our chances for a shot of the movement of the Rockford Indicator??....please ??

Thanks,

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ahhh, pretty good chance of it Jim!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share a personal favorite. Twenty-One-Jewel 655 Rockford Indicators are truly magnificent watches. Most of them led a rough life on the Railroad and therefore a perfect dial is difficult or even nearly impossible to find. There are some lame reproduction dials around so you must be really careful.

The one shown in these pictures came from Webb C. Ball & Company Jewelers and therefore is housed in a "Ball-Model" case. When I bought it a few years ago the price of $2,350.00 seemed outrageous, today it's a joke. Another example of why Rhett's advice above of "Always Buy Condition" is very important to follow.

This 655 Rockford Indicator 858329 is an unusually fine example...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Thanks, Lindell, for sharing a truly unique example of a wind indicator.

And...now, that we've seen it...well, it would have been almost cruel for us to have been denied that opportunity. As you say, A-B-C... Awesome - Beautiful - Classic !!!