• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Dials "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone tell me if this is a factory Waltham WI Dial or a repro ? Feet are at 57.5 18 39, and what movement would it have come off of, Vanguard, Cres. St. etc. ?

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
rear

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
If you're looking for votes, I'd vote 'original'. I can't think of any company that would go through all the effort to solder four pieces together like that to make a reproduction.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Well I kind of thought so myself, but as in a lot of things I am sure no expert, and who knows what they would do ?
Thanks for your input,
Bill

posted
Bill-

It is original. As Mark points out the dial is seperate pieces, welded, so would be original. The little bit of damage is as much of an indication of this as anything too that it is original. Foot location fits an open face 1899/1908 16s model. Probably belongs on a 23j Vanguard made for the canadian market, although it could fit other models. Here is a link to one with the original Fortune case to boot for the canadian market.

Link

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
IMHO Mark & Jared are right, that dial has to be original.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Original, no question.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Thanks all,
I thought also that a repro would not have gone to the trouble of the welds, but had to make sure.
Thanks again,
Bill