• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Frank Herschede Pocket Watch Info Help. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a pocket watch that is marked Frank Herschede on the dial and movement. It is a 12s and is in a Crescent case. The movement has a crown with the word Trademark on the crown. I am familiar with Herschede Tall Clocks since Ihave owned several but I have never seen a PW and can not find any info online. Any help would be appreciated

Posts: 1 | Location: Southwesern Michigan in the USA | Registered: May 05, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Bob,
I would think it may be a private label watch made for him. I see no evidence of them making a Pocket watch at all, and there is a huge amount of information about the company for this clock Company.

Maybe a picture of the movement would help us determine what the watch is, and who made it.

Watch Cases and watch movements were made by different manufacturers, so the case information will not help with the watch itself. So post a picture if you can, and maybe we can tell you more about the watch.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Hello. I am new to the club and found this post while looking through the forums. I got a Frank Herschede pocket watch in a box lot some time ago. It is a 33mm SW/LS in a Swiss .935 silver case engraved to someone in 1902. It is very dirty and is missing the balance assembly and possibly other parts. I have taken some photos (I apologize for my lack of photo taking skills). It is marked on the dial Frank Herschede and also on the movement along with a crown with "Trademark" and a hammer. Also, the underside of the dial plate is damaskeened. If there is any information to add to what has already been posted, I would appreciate it. I am having so much fun reading all the posts. It is a real pleasure to see everyone exchange their thoughts and expertise so freely to help out other collectors. Thank you.

Mary Ann

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Forgot the pictures!

Mary Ann Scott

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Picture of the dial

Mary Ann Scott

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Hi Ann, WELCOME to IHC 185, you have what I think is a private label Longines. As it it a Hunter case, it's plate cuts are somewhat "mirror-imaged" to my Open Face Longines movement pictured below. But if you study the details you will see the similarity. Usually on private label watches the Swiss "name brand" manufacturers emboss their name or trademark (Longine's trademark is a winged Hourglass) under the dial. So when you have the opportunity to lift the dial that should answer the question. You might inquire of Chris Abell if he has any "parts" movements with the correct balance wheel to get yours running again too.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
To make it a lttle easier I put the two "side by sid" to help you can see the similarities of the two movments.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Your right, Dave. They are basically mirror images of each other. I don't have the tools to properly take the hands and dial off. A friend may be able to do it for me. And I will ask Chris Abell if he may have the missing parts. I already have two early E. Howard movements to him for repair.

Mary Ann

posted
I finally was able to get my friend to take the hands/dial off this movement. There are no markings except the number 896598. The two dial feet are at 24 and 54 minutes. If anyone has thoughts as to the manufacturer, please let me know. Thanks!

Mary Ann

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Ann, That serial numebr fits with a mid-1890's vintage Longines.

posted
Thank you, Dave. That is close to the inscription date of 12/25/1902. Being a Longines, I will invest in restoring it if possible. When Chris Abell has some spare time (?!?) I will ask him if he could take a look at it. I have a photo with the dial removed, but am having difficulty getting it to show.

posted
They sure look a lot alike, BUT.....

I found the trademark for the Herschede Hall Clock Co and it has a crown just like the one shown with the exception of the piece in the middle of the crown.

Sooooo

This makes me wonder if maybe Herschede did indeed make a pocket watch too????

They were in Cincinnati Ohio.

So what do you think?

You can see the Trademark on page 82 in Roy Ehrhardt's Trademark book.

I just know I have seen that mark before!

Sheila

posted
Well, Mr. Frank Herschede did have a Jewelry store. Which one it is, is another question, because there were 3 Frank Herschede's and they all had Jewelry Stores.

Of course that doesn't tell who made it, but I think it gives another point for the Private Label idea.

Sheila

posted
Thanks, Sheila. I am going with the thought that these were private label watches that were made for the jewelry store or stores. I am impressed with your sleuthing! And I have to get copies of the Meggar and Erhardt books. It is nice to be able to match up names and dates to develop a time line on things. If all the watches could talk, the stories they would tell!