Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Shellac preparation "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I was trying to describe how to prepare shellac from flakes, decided it was easier to make a you tube video,

Shellac preparation

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Chris, thanks for posting a very informative tip video. I have not tackeled the shellac as yet, I let my friend Roger Nolfe do that kind of work for me. I did notice his shellac is in long pieces in a glass vile. This is a great tip for refilling the vile when you have time.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Thanks Chris and Ed for posting this! Makes me appreciate how these watchmakers of old came up with these fixes.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
first time using shellac. want to know if you start to set a roller jewel and ping goes the jewel and the shellac cools and sets can it be reheated and used sucssfully ?

Lefpanhorf

Posts: 6 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 05, 2019
IHC Member 1650
posted
The short answer is yes. Shellac can be reheated and reused.

Posts: 372 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Chris:
Thanks very much!

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
posted
thanks Doug

Lefpanhorf

Posts: 6 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 05, 2019
IHC Member 1954
posted
i have been using automotive lock tite for a lot of uses instead of shelac..have had real good success with it..not for everyone i guess, but a little touch of it on the roller jewel, or table, or even on a loose hair spring collar etc, works great..i just use a very small oiler pin, and dab a very small amount..haven't run into any failures yet..

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
IHC Member 1851
posted
I won't stray far, shellac has proven very durable and friendly for well over 100 years, shallow learning curve, quick and simple, easily reversible.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013