WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Eds’ private label A.L. Haman & Co., St. Paul, Minn. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
This morning Ed Parsons posted his Illinois private label Grade 179 watch here: Illinois Watch Co. Grade 179

I find private label watches interesting and started researching A.L. Haman & Co., St. Paul, Minn. At first nothing came up but being persistent I was able to find some information.

One of the last things I found was out of The Dual City Blue Book by R.L. Polk & Company, 1899, and it was what I was looking for at first, an advertisement.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
As can be seen in the advertisement above Mr. Haman dealt with top shelf watches. The business also was an agent for the Webb C. Ball as can be seen below.

Advertisement courtesy of Google Books

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
While searching the web I stumbled across what looked like A.L. Haman & Co., 295 Endicott Building. That lead to searching for the building: Pioneer and Endicott Buildings

Here is a link to a PDF with recent history and information about the buildings: Pioneer and Endicott Buildings

On the bottom of the Wikipedia article it shows a link to photos and that's where the image below is from. I like this because it is around when Eds' watch was made and as you can see the form of transportation is horse and buggy.

Image courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society Circa 1900

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Good job Richard, so a A.L. Haman-marked Ball-Hamilton 999 is a possibilty. That would be a nice partner for my Gr 179!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed,

That would be great if you could find a matching private label Ball-Hamilton 999.

There's more to come.

It's kind of confusing how the Endicott and Pioneer buildings are connected and looking more into it I found the photo that ties some facts together. What really fascinates me is I think it's possible that your watch may have been purchased from the exact place in the picture below.

Photo courtesy Minnesota Historical Society Circa 1929

posted
Here is the street view of 350 Robert Street which is the same view of the building shown above.

Image courtesy of Google Maps

posted
I didn’t find anything in particular about Mr. Haman but did find an article which included the picture below that may include Mr. Haman. A.L. Haman & Co, St. Paul, Minn

Perhaps Tom Brown can dig up some information about Mr. Haman.

That's a great looking watch Ed.

Enjoy,

RR

Photo courtesy of Google Books

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It appears he was Albert L. Haman, he was born about April 1859 in Illinois.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thank you Tom,

RR

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Nice work Richard.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Great history lesson Richard, this is what draws me to private label watches as well. It's nice when the buildings are still standing and still looking much like they did in their day. Since this is on the national historic registry it's not likely to change. Much like Eds watch, History Preserved.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
One would hope so Ray, so we're preserving the watch, plus also on the private label aspects, provide a window on the people that sold it and serviced it.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
When I got back to St. Paul in January I will have to look up the place.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
quote:
Albert L. Haman a little more history

off the 1900 Federal Census...

Name: Albert L Haman
Birth Date: Apr 1859
Birthplace: Illinois
Home in 1900: St Paul Ward 11, Ramsey, Minnesota
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Katherine Haman
Marriage Year: 1889
Years Married: 11
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Albert L Haman 47
Katherine Haman 31
Truell Haman 3
Lillie Herhold 26

Posts: 90 | Location: South Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2013
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I found this photo of F.W. Kinnoin, he either worked for A.L. Haman, or he was a partner in his store.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Putting it all together, how about this? A fully restored jeweler's store, complete with watchmakers, sales displays, watches, tools, etc. A touring exhibit perhaps, so visitors could see what it was like to get their watches serviced back in the day. What do you think?

Best Regards,

Ed