Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Luminous Illinois Watch.... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Just thought I would share this with you fellow members as I got the hands back yesterday and got this very interesting 12 size Illinois watch with the luminous dial and hands all back together. It doesn't use the original radium luminescence but it is cool to look at when I turn the lights out here in the computer room to go to bed. It's a 17 jewel Aristocrat by the way.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
boom boom out go the lights....

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I like that, now I want one too!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Me Too.
Now I'm also looking for one. Great Watch.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Very cool!

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Something to think about....back in the day when these were originally done, they used a radium luminous paint on these dials and hands which was self powering so when you pulled it from your pocket, a dark place to begin with, it glowed and for all night. I am told this would last for about 10 years or so before it eventually burnt out. Nowadays, it is an EPA friendly paint which will lose its glow after a short period. So unlike a wristwatch which will glow after the lights go out, this watch will not as it has been in the pocket while the lights were on. Not really functional or practical but still very neat and if left on the display stand as this one is, it goes to work when you turn out the lights to leave the room. I get a chuckle everytime I leave the room at night.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Steve, where can I send my "war conversion" watch with the "R" dial and "radium" hands to get that done?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Dave,

Here is there website which has their address and phone. You may want to call them and have them send you some order envelopes. They may be able to establish an account over the phone which you will be able to write onto your work order. They have done numerous dials (painted metal) and I think they do a nice job. It brings an old discarded ugly watch back to life and it is appreciated once again.

Steve

International Dial Co.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thank you Steve. I have heard of these people, and I will get on it Monday.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I would be curious to know how much this dial refinishing costs....

Posts: 27 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 15, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
The dial was $28.00 and the hands (hour and minute) were $7.50 and then $2.50 S/H.

Steve