Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Appropriate Illinois Dials and Hands "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
I have an Illinois Sangamo 21 J,serial # dates it to approx.1911.It has a white metal dial with a gold second register and a faux gold center circle.Tha numbers are black boxcar with black diamond 5 min.markers.The hands are black with an open spade configuration.The "Illinois" on the dial is curved.
I don't have the appropriate reference book yet,so my question is what periods of time would this dial and hand combo[second hand is missing] be correct for?Oh yes,this watch was a one owner now deceased.When did the "Illinois"on the dial go from curved to straight? I also remember seeing a chart naming the styles of hands,does anyone have a source or webpage for this info?

Thanks in advance,sorry so MANY questions at once. Confused

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapter 96

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
The change over from straight to arch seems to come about 1917

One will note that the dials on the model 5 sanagmo will not fit the later sangamo specials.. dial foot pattern is different..
so... The model 5 sangamo was not produced at this time, so they should have a straight line dial.

I will note the model 9 Bunn Special would have the variety of dials...

Straight line Illinois, straight leg 7 before 1917 [est]
Arch Illinois, straight leg 7 about 1917 [est]
Arch Illinois, curley cue leg 7 after 1917 [est]

These dates seem to be substantiated by advertisments.... and as always, I stand to be corrected....