Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin: William B. Krill? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Folks,
I have a 16s Elgin pocket watch, dating to 1904, with the name "William B. Krill" engraved on the train bridge, but I see no such thing as a "William B. Krill" grade or named Elgin watch, at least not in the latest Shugart book. Nor do I see anything like that on the Elgin collector's website, unless I missed something. Does anyone have info on this type of watch or on Mr. Krill? Thanks,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
Peter -

It sounds as if you may have a "private-label" marked movement on your Elgin. Such markings were commonplace for most of the larger American watch companies and many jewelers and retailers would have their name marked on the movement of the watch. If possible please post a photo here of your watch and this could be confirmed.

Here is a link to some Elgin private-label information on the Elgin site ...

http://elginwatches.org/databases/Private_Label.html

And here are a few photos of some earlier Elgin private-labels in the IHC photo gallery ...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5656047761/m/9791083001

Fred

posted
Thanks for the info. The train bridge is marked "WILLIAM B. KRILL." in capital block letters. The only other markings on the bridges is the serial number, 12720052, and "safety pinion" on the barrel bridge. There is no "Elgin National Watch Company" -- is that unusual? I will try for a photo of the movement, but I cannot get good close-ups. Thanks,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004