Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

operation safety "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
What were these used for? They are small plastic pinbacks. Pin to show some kind of safety training they went through.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Operation Lifesaver is or was a public safety campaign to educate the public of the Dangers of trying to beat an approaching train at a road (grade) crossing.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Gary is correct. I only know it from working for the CNR here in Canada but I think it is/was North America wide.

CN employees would go into schools and give presentations and would give those pins to the students.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Ok thanks guess these were pins they gave out once you attended class. probably not worth anything then.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Operation Lifesaver is a presently ongoing educational program, at least by the UPRR and others have said nationwide and in Canada, to promote railroad grade crossing safety. The UPRR even has vehicles that have been hit by trains on display at some crossings in this state. These displayed vehicles are prominently marked 'Operation Lifesaver'.

In addition, the UPRR sends out Operation Lifesaver personnel to speak to classes and groups. I've used them in my traffic citation diversion classes. However, I've personally not seen these particular pins used as part of their handout material in my classes, but I'm guessing that is what they are.

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I remember my daughters bringing home one of these from school back in the 80's.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Through our local division of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, in Calgary. Some of our membership volunteered their time to talk firsthand to the students of elementary, junior high, and high schools, some of our membership were involved in some pretty bad accidents on the CPR, the CPR police force were also quite involved in these educational visits to our schools.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Operation Lifesaver in Maine link:

http://www.maineol.org/history.htm

Some history of the project, very interesting.

Posts: 45 | Location: Maine in the USA | Registered: April 27, 2010