Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Opinion please "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
18kt tri gold set with 3x dias hunting. Vanguard movement.

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
more

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
front

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
and more

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
once more

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
last one promise

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
sorry I stated 18kt. but it is 14kt. What I was looking for is where would this case come from. And what value would I suspect this watch and case be valued at. The pictures do not show the pristine condition. I am asking those who are far more knowledgeable than I what one should realistically pay for this unit.
Walter

IHC Member 1016
posted
Walter, That's a nice looking watch and I'm sure it is appealing to a great many with the 1892, 21J Vanguard and tricolor case. Is it one you own, or is it one you are thinking about owning? Very nice but I'll leave the technical stuff to the experts we have here.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Mike I need the opinion of the more knowledgeable members who might have had some experience with this. It is available but thats what I need the input, maybe to rich for me but what should the offer be.
Walter

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Walter,

I would guess that a 14k heavy 18s multi-color gem set box hinged case such as the one shown would be worth between $2,500 - $3,000...almost regardless of what grade of movement is installed....but possibly even more$$$ if the buyer's name happens to be Samuel Kohlmorgen, Stephen Killinger, Sophia Kulka or Sid Kooksie!

I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Looks super and looks original perhaps, but can't say for absolutely positive. It is not to be confused with a true box hinge case where the two outside lids are formed with appendages that form part of the box hinge. It is called a "faux box hinge" case.

The price is going to be set from a listing of 14K Multi color box
"or" extra heavy, but not box hinge "&" extra heavy. Most sellers will want to get the price on this for "box & extra heavy", but one would be over paying at that rate. Due to it's apparent nice condition, a buyer who was wishing to purchase this watch SHOULD expect to split the difference between the two prices of the two listings in the price guide for the 2nd and 5th price under 14K Multi-Color Solid Gold Cases on page 45.

It will appeal to many with it's para-mutual trifecta horse race theme. The mine cut diamonds are usually on the low end of the quality scale and are not a big factor.

True Value= $4500 to 5000, in the best opinion that I can give. The seller possibly will want $7500-8000 for this watch. If I were going to spend $5K+ for a like watch, I would find a true box hinged case. I have set the price so that any apparent buyer can get out from under it and at least break even at any time in the near future. If money is not ever going to be an issue, then one may go up 20%.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
William,Buster, thanks for the information. When looking at such a piece before opening my mouth I appreciate some professional input. Thanks again for the valued information.
Many thanks
Walter

Picture of Steve Kanter
posted
Walter, I find your watch to be most interesting. My father-in-law has been involved in the equine industry for most of his life, over 70 years, so the side showing the horse heads would be of interest to him. The other side of the watch has my initials "SK" (Steve Kanter). I would be very interested in its history. Any way of knowing who owned it, or who it was made for?

Posts: 3 | Location: Gulfport, Mississippi in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011