Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A question about a 'Patented' case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1369
posted
Can anyone provide details about a case that I have been unable to find in any reference books that I have.

It is an OF 18S swing-out case. Inside the back cover are the words 'Patented Trade Mark' with a star and crescent moon. No other engravings.

I am wondering if this is gold filled? Coin silver? Other? And, what company might have made these? It came with an Illinois Bunn if that is of any help.

Sorry, can't get a decent photo at the moment.

Thanks

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ralph

A photo might help narrow down the maker but ultimately the Keystone Case Company owned them & I believe they were gold filled.

The Crescent Watch Case Co of Newark NY used that symbol & were issued a trademark Dec 15, 1885 but then on Dec 19, 1911 the Keystone Watch Case Co. of Philadelphia Pa were issued a trade mark of the "The Crescent Watch Case Co."

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Keystone's James Boss invented the process for making composite gold-clad brass material used to make a gold-filled case, and he patented it, hence the "patented" marking,

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004