Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Success story, or How I Shellacked pallet jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I took on a job for a friend to get her husband's Grandfather's Bunn Special working. It had a broken staff. After I got into it I saw it also had broken balance jewels (lower shattered, upper cracked). I replaced the staff and found jewels and replaced them but the pallet stones were both loose. In the process of my first attempt ever I managed to get one in backwards. The watch doesn't run with a backward jewel! Finally I took it back out, turned it around and the watch still didn't run. I was really bummed out. After trying all sorts of things I reheated the pallet fork on the warmer and repositioned the stones. IT WORKS! For a guy with all thumbs, no mechanical ability and little faith I am thrilled.
I do not have a photo of the watch but it is a model 9 variety 6 like my watch, but this one has a very cool Montgomery, Gothic, Straight Illinois signature.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Congrads Big Grin

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Mike, way to go, it feels great when you get one all back together, especially when you're fussing with pallet or roller jewels, give it a couple winds and it starts to run.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I have one project for you once you back in Az.
roller jewel (hint)have shellack ready.
BTW great to know you got it ticking once again.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Life Member
posted
That is very cool. I wish I could do that. But I would probably burn my self catch my bench on fire and lose the pallet jewel and brake the pallet fork or the earth would stop rotating.

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks guys. What makes this so special to me is that I worked on the watch for several weeks. Needed balance jewels, needed staff, mainspring, crystal, etc. When the thing wouldn't run I was very unhappy because I was doing it for someone else and it is a family heirloom. Sure wasn't an overnight success, but it was worth the effort for the satisfaction.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of George Ulrich
posted
congratulation on your success, seems we both have the same affliction 10 thumbs

Posts: 119 | Location: Alton, Illinois in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good job Mike.
Stories like this keep me going when I can't figure out what to do next.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1423
Picture of Charles P. Hodge
posted
Nice work Mike!

Charlie Hodge

Posts: 73 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: May 12, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Good going Mike!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Nice job Mike!.... Smile

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
posted
Nice one, by the way does anyone know somewhere which can offer a good explanation of the technique, either on-line or a book, I'd like to look at learning myself but having trouble finding someone to show me here. Thanks,
-Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Joe, Henry Fried's book "The Watch Repairers Manual" has a whole chapter on replacing pallet jewels. Here is a link to a previous thread about the book.

Fried Book

Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
Thanks Bob, I'll see if I can find a nice copy.
-Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013