Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Label Residue on Watch Crystal "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I have a couple of crystal with residue left on them from the size labels. I have tried everything I have to remove it but to no avail. I am at the point where I believe it is etched in the glass, improbable I know but at this point I am out of ideas. Try as I might I can't get a decent picture. Has anyone encountered this and how did you deal with it.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I have had good luck with Goof-Off Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
An old watchmaker trick I was shown many years ago involves the use of the old original Colegate white toothpaste and a damp wash rag.

Put a small dab of the toothpaste on the dampened wash cloth and lay the cloth flat on a table top.

Using a circular motion, polish the crystal on the toothpaste until the area is cleared.

The original Colegate toothpaste is nothing but a super mild abrasive suspended in the paste, and I have sucessfully removed scratches and the type residue you're dealing with.

No guarantee, but something I've been shown, and a techniquie I've tried that worked for me.

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thank you, and just in case anyone was wondering they are glass crystals.

Tom, I have tried Goo-Gone and left it on for an hour...... nothing.

Mark, I tried Jewellers Rouge and it didn't work but I will try the toothpaste, you never know.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
try isopropyl alcohol works for me

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011

posted
http://www.daveswatchparts.com...romGlassCrystals.pdf

Here is a great article on your very topic

Good luck

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
The chemicals used in tapes, such a Scotch Tape and its varients, will eventually etch the glass. I am not certain as to how long it takes but I know that to be a fact.

Rub your fingernail over that spot that won't remove. You should be able to tell whether those marks are above the surface or incuse.

How about a picture?

Marty

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Lorne,

The old glue that they used can etch the glass and I have many crystals with this problem. It takes a lot of work and progressively finer grits of cerium oxide, diamond paste or other polishing compounds to remove. You can frequently get them about 75% better after 15 or 20 minutes work, but that last 25% seems to take forever.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Glass etching is a DEFINITE possibility with those old crystals. Why do you think there are so many ebay sellers with glass crystals for sale? Ha! Not that all those old crystals are etched, but you never know.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 1541
posted
I finally got decent pic and I believe it is etched(thanks for the link Jon). Problem is it was an ebay bought display case and they are both the same. The seller is willing to work things out so I may ask for a partial refund. Any suggestions, $10 each for crystals plus shipping, you can't just put these in an envelope so min. $12.95 Priority Mail International Box. I live in a small town in northern B.C. so finding and fitting is an issue. Plus the annoyance factor as he did say "the crystal glasses are flawless".

These measure exactly 43mm. and were glued in. They are a bit sloppy with no glue so 43.1 or maybe 43.2 would be a good friction fit.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Lorne, Dave's article is right on the money. I took a small jar, down to an auto glass repair shop. I told them what I was doing, and wanted some cerium oxide, I gave them the jar, and they filled it up, no charge.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I have had a few crystals with the stickers still on and I soaked it in a plastic container filled wit hot water and dish soap. Came right off with a bit of help / rubbing. Kinda the same thing that is done to remove wine bottle labels. I did not have the etching problem, but that was just me.
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011

posted
Lorne,

Did you try the cerium oxide method to remove the etching?

V/r

Jon

IHC Member 1541
posted
The seller and I came to an agreement, I will send him back the case and he will replace the crystals with two good matching ones and he is paying postage both ways, can't really argue with that.

Regarding the cerium oxide, I went to a auto glass repair shop as Brian suggested and they gave me a jar full. That just left me thinking of a way to use it so I went to an engine repair place and got an old valve with a 45mm diameter dead flat head on it. I will glue on some felt, stick it in a variable speed drill and try it on one of my thick flat crystals.

posted
Let us know how it works out...