Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin dial chronology "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1691
posted
Greetings all, I am wondering if there is a concise pictorial/graphical chronology available for Elgin watch dials?

Something like the illustrations in the Ehrhardt price guide with dates and perhaps models. Photos would be even better.

Regards

Peter in Oz

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Peter,
Is this to which you are referring?
The dial illustrations are on p. 68-80 in this guide.

[]

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1691
posted
Hi Dave, I have the guide but am interested in the dates that each dial was available.

The question arises as I would like to be able to check that dials on movements I have or am looking at are "period correct".

Catalogs from the period are helpful, but I'm looking for something more concise (or maybe a project...).

Regards

Peter

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Peter,
Yes, that's a good question. I'd like to see the answer on that myself.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
I will create a break down not so much based on year but by serial number and post it. I will try to post examples of each font if possible.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Claude,
I know that will be a lot of work, but there are several here including me who I know will thoroughly appreciate your efforts.
Thanks!

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1691
posted
Claude, you are a champion. Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Regards

Peter

posted
I will show 16 and 18 size since that is what most will be collecting and I won't try to cover the 6 and 12 sizes. Normally with Elgin the same type of font would be found on single or double sunk so if I picture one type SS or DS you can apply the font to the missing type. I guess I will need some help on the gap that I have between the grade 453 and the grade 478, I do not have any 472s and I think there were at least 2 font types associated with the 472 (some marked Invar) some not.

posted
Ok now I need some help, I don't have any of the real early Elgins that are marked National Watch Co, if you have any 16 or 18 size single double sunk please email some good pictures of a good dial shot to my profile email address. I will try to cover SS and DS for each size, with the two types of numbering, Roman and Arabic numerals

If you send pictures of dials also send the serial number, you don't have to be specific to the last 3 digits so if you want you can put XXX for the last 3 digits, unless the number is less than 3 digits.

posted
Thank you for embarking on this project. I have had a lot of questions about this subject, particularly in regards to the National dials.

Posts: 261 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2011