• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bautte quarter repeater problems "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone advise me on a problem I've got with my Bautte cylinder repeater c. 1840, the repeater function appears to be working perfectly chiming the hours and the quarters in the right order and number of times, the trouble is the chimes are around 4 hours behind the time given by the hands, would it be OK just to remove the hands at noon and the replace them at 4O'clock
regards
gerald

gerald

Posts: 64 | Location: Devon, in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 19, 2008
posted
Yes, That is exactly how to remedy the problem. The hands should be replaced exactly at the hour. If it is a square center staff and minute hand, it is easier. Let the watch completely run down or carefully stop the balance with a very small slip of folded paper so it won't change time when you work. Then run the repeater to find what time it is. Set the hands slowly through the 3rd quarter up to the next hour and very slowly at the hour. You can usually hear a faint click as the hour snail's star wheel changed over to the next hour. Then you know it's exactly at the hour the repeater chimes. Replace the hands to that time.

Posts: 5 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: February 23, 2012