• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gold plated movement - Illinois Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
How rare are gold plated movements? Where is the best source to learn more about them?

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
posted
The question is, is it real gold, or just gold in color?

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
many very high grade movements were gilded, as were a large number of marine deck watches and chronometers,even the Russian Poljot and Kirova deck watches and marine chronometers were gilded, and as well were of superb world class quality to boot!!! Big Grin Elgin made gilded movement deck watches for the Royal Canadian Navy in WW2,mine just repaired by Chris Abell , and I am anxious to have it home Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I do not know how rare they are but Elgin made gold plated or flashed movements. I assume you mean the entire movement as there are many tu tone examples. If you separate movements gold plated or flashed entirely from the much more common gilt movements I know the Hampden 400 17j was made in nickle and a few with solid gold plates. Many years ago I had a very heavy Swiss movement that was high quality but no case. It had platinum plates to every ones surprise. Illinois produced some gold flashed or plated movements also.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Tell us more about the platinum plate watch Deacon. We would like to see pictures, details and disposition Smile

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Just picked up a 21 Jewel Bunn Special and it is probably identified in the Pricing Guide on page 278 as the 2 star "gold plated movement." Neither I nor my "years of experience watch repairman" have ever seen one. Is this watch even more rare than the 2 star would indicate?

Will add pictures soon

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Buster I never did figure out who made it and in the early 70's, slightly indisposed financially I sold it for scrap. In those days I was younger and dumber and I could not find a case for it soooo... , but it did go quite a way towards much needed transportation!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009