• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mean Time Screws/Lack Of "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have been reading the recent post on the meaning of adjusted,and wonder how Elgin timed their watches that did not have mean time screws. Did they do this by different balance screw weights? Also what is a studded mean time nut?

Posts: 39 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Elgin may have "mastered" precision "Vibrating" the balance wheel/Hairspring assembly perfectly enough that they need not have bothered with mean time screws to really fine tune the watch. Heck they might have had a precision "armbender" for all I know.

Some of my mid-1930's Elgins have steel threaded studs about 1/4 mm diameter jam threaded into the balance wheel at the cross arms and 90 deg away from the cross arms. Elgin assembled to these 1 each a threaded ID cylindrical gold "nut" that can be screwed in and out to adjust or regulate time accuracy. This is the same idea as the other manufacturer's mean time screws but a little more reliable as the threaded studs would not break off in the balance wheel as easily.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you for your reply, David. I have a 571 BW Raymond that has four mean time screws. The 573 and the 575 Elgin that I have do not have mean time screws. The 573 is a 17 jewel movement with the micro regulator and is quite accurate.

Posts: 39 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The post WWII elgins are a completely different story. Sorry I did not go that far. To me the "5xx" series resemble Swiss more than US-Made movements. Not good or bad, just "different".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Plus the fact that the 571 is the only one of the three regulated for RR service, the 573 & 575 were not....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008