Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

good prices for watch cleaning & service "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have been looking at these prices for cleaning and replacing balance staffs...I thought i would check with Rich Kuhn and see if he could match these prices Big Grin if he can i belive i will quite watch repair.. Wink Big Grin
Just kidding Rich

this ad is from 1915

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
%%

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sure makes us all yearn for simpler times!

Looking over those prices it is clear that 23-Jewel watches might cost half again more to maintain that a comperable 17-Jewel. That reminds me of one of my favorite advertisements.

The ad below was plain straight talk from a century ago...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
You don't have to go back nearly so far to find good prices.

Click on either to make it larger.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Samie,
No need to quit watch repair. I think those are Rich Kuhn's last year prices. Smile Wink
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Brian,
That is my price list from a year ago Wink . Samie how did you get it.
Times they are a change'n Big Grin

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Rich i have several old books and advertizing pieces from the early 1900,s ,these were in the stuff i got from a watchmakers estate...

Looking at Toms post these prices may have been high for 1915...Hard to imange such low prices it shows what a dollar was worth way back then.. Smile

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've got to back Rich on this....those ARE his prices...but once you factor in overhead, gasoline to pick up the boxes at the post office, dog food..... SmileRegards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
My watchmaker asked me to find him a price list he could adjust & print out for a jeweler he does work for. I found one on the board and gave it to him a few months.

Just went by at lunch today and gave him the "updated price list" above.

posted
I for one would not want to work for the kind of wages folks got then. A dollar was a much more difficult to get in those days than a hundred dollars is today.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
I for one would not want to work for the kind of wages folks got then. A dollar was much more difficult to get in those days than a hundred dollars is today.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002