• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New York Standard keywind "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A couple of years ago,I bought a box of pocket watch parts off Ebay,for $24,and down in the bottom was this NYS keywind. It is the only one I have ever seen,and it looks to be in it's original case. I don't think the hands are original,especially the second hand. It was dirty,tarnished,and had a broken staff. I cleaned,oiled,polished,and replaced the staff,and since then it has run good and keeps good time. There is no serial number on the movement,but this was common with NYS. I would like to find out about the original owner. It has a Freemason sign etched on the back cover,and the name Allen T. Speelman inscribed inside. I have written several letters to the Freemasons,explaining what I was looking for,and have not had a single reply. Anybody here know how I might find some info about a Freemason from the turn of the century. I think the watch dates to around 1890-1900.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
The dial

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
The case

posted
another

posted
last one

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I will keep doing some more digging but right now a possibility is;
Allen T. Spellman born about 1855 in Ohio, in the 1920 US census he was living in Jackson, Crawford Ohio & is employeed as a clerk for the railway mail service.

I will see if I can find more to positive ID or cancel him.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Cecil,
A very nice old key wind.
Don't you wish they could tell their stories!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Nice watch Cecil, one that is not seen all that often..Didnt look it up but I would think it's one of the rarer NY Standards.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Tom,I appreciate your efforts. The last name is Speelman,with 2 E's. A Jewish gentleman perhaps.

Edward,Yes,I'm about as interested in the history,as I am the watches. To think of the times,and experiences that the owner/owners of this old watch has seen.

Ray,I have seen thousands of watches,but never another one like this one. It has 3 stars for rarity in "The book",and it is one of my personal favorites,of my watches.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Cecil

I did look it up with two EE's I just wrote it wrong here.

He is the only Allen T. Speelman I can find in the census for the USA that was born prior to your watch being made. I have not been able to make a connection to him & the Masons. If you would like more info on him I have his wife & kids names. Checking different census' he was a postal clerk for the railway in Ohio. He was born in Ohio, his father in Pa. & his mother in Ohio.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
If he lived in Jackson, Ohio and worked for a railway, the road was probably the B&O. They had a small yard in Jackson.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Cecil, I don't know anything about Freemasonry symbols, but to me they look like a set of dividing calipers placed over a set square, typically as used by draughtsmen in a drawing office.

Nice watch too, I just love those old full plate jobs.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's true, John, but if you look closely, you can also just make out the well worn 'G' in the center of those tools.

It is the Free Mason emblem.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
The Freemasons are a secret society. They are sworn to not reveal other members identities, even if they are long dead.

Posts: 25 | Location: Haines, Alaska in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
posted
Thanks Mark, you live and learn! Wink

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
That raises another question. Why would a group of people that did not want to be identified as members of the group,wear rings,watches,and other items with the group emblems on them,making them identifiable as a member of that group. Also, Allen Speelman has already exposed himself as a member,by having the watch personalized with the sign,and my only interest in the Freemason emblem on the watch,aside from it adding to my personal enjoyment of the watch,is to perhaps help identify correctly,the original owner. I'm pretty sure that with a little digging,most of the Freemason's agenda can be discovered,but I do not have any interest in doing that.