• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

can anyone tell me about it:Roulet & Anderson "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a gold pocketwatch, the front(ceramic) and the back(inside) say: Roulet & Anderson. When I had it cleaned and serviced in Poland, they told me that it could be an American watch, but had no idea what else. I checked with other sites, no one knows anything about it. If you need any pictures, please send me an email to marekoto@msn.com, and I will send you some
Thanks for your help

Posts: 8 | Location: Sarasota, Florida USA | Registered: March 15, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Marek,
How about posting them in here? You just click on the "Reply to Post" and in that reply you write something in the body of the post then click on

"CLICK" TO ADD IMAGE OR ATTACHMENT and it will take you to your pictures, you just click the one you want to post, add the name of the picture in the next box and click post now,
It's real easy try it.
Make sure it's a JPG picture and not too big.

I searched and didn't find anything but it may just be a Private Label, and a picture would help to determine if it's an American watch too.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I have more and better pictures

posted
picture nr. 2

posted
picture nr.3

posted
picture nr.4

posted
Marek,

That is one very nice looking pocket watch. I don't have my books here at the office, but at first glance I believe that watch looks like an early model Illinois 6 size from the late 1890's. The movement and dial are private label but it still looks right for an early Illinois 6 or maybe 8 size to me. I own a model 1 grade 140 size 6 Illinois from 1894 that looks very similar except mine has a gilded movement and yours is nickel. The movement number also falls into the Illinois 6 to 8 size range for about 1893 or 1894. I will look the movement number up when I get home. One can also see the dial, movement, and case all are original because all the private label names and the initals on the watch case match. It looks to be in very good shape and is very nice.

John

posted
Thanks for your message, I bought it during my visit to Poland, where I had it serviced -cleaned, and whatever else was involved. Inside it is like new, works great, and it is beautiful. I'm trying to find out how much it is worth, and if I decide, then where I can sell it.

posted
Marek,

I have looked up the movement number in Bill Meggers Illinois book and I was correct it is a private label Illinois 6 size. I was wrong on the model number though. What you have there is a 12 jewel hunters case lever set unadjusted grade 142 1/2 according to the book only around 700 were made in this 12 jewel configuration and thus would make it somewhat scarce. The book puts the movement value to $30 in 1985. There may be other members who better know what a complete watch as a original private label version is worth today. I would be willing to purchase it from you. Email me at jdjohn17@msn.com to discuss further.

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hello Marek
I live just 3/4 of an hour from Toledo and doing some research on your watch but have come up empty handed for the time being. Toledo does have a very large Polish community and we will allways wonder why a watch travels around the world as yours seems to have.

Regards
Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
posted
Marek,
WOW! that's Beautiful!
I do have quite a few watches, however not all of them are of a high grade, but I love all watches, so I buy what I like, even a very messed up watch that I may have been searching for, for a while.

I do like your watch, and although I don't know Illinois watches that well, I like that it's also a private label watch too! I buy them often, when I find one that I think I may have a chance to find out about.

Congratulations on a great find, it's so clean and nice. That's a "Good Thing"!!!!

Sheila

posted
Sheila, thanks for your comment.... would you have a idea about the value?
I belive that the gold case is worth more than 350, but I dont know to much about it anyway. I need an honest price
Thanks

posted
Marek,
That is a very complicated question.
First, most collectors purchase larger watches, however the thing that would make yours desireable is, that it is Gold, and that it's an Illinois watch, that is also a private label Illinois, and that there were VERY FEW of them made.

I believe that the market today is very different than it was even a year ago. The price of Gold has changed it quite a bit. So there is the gold value, and then the watch value. Of course, the gold value is up for grabs too. One who wants that exact size case would jump on it, others would not. Someone that buys size 6 watches would too, and for both the case and the Illinois.

There are hard core WATCH collectors and there are those who take an extreme stand on solid gold cases, so you can see that the answer is torn between who wants what.

I know this sounds like a run around, but consider this, I would NEVER pay over $500.00 for a small, 7J, 0s, Elgin, however I HAVE PAID over $500.00 for a Private label, 7J, 0s, Elgin that was a spacific Private label that I really enjoy finding!!! (and is very hard to find)

I doubt that anyone here would buy a size 0s for that amount unless it was something very special.

The fact that your watch was one of only a very few that were ever made, makes it very scarce, so I believe that if you found the right collector, you could get more for it.

The market is so diverse today it is very hard to say what a watch is worth. Even the price guide many use is no help with real values anymore.

I would say that, because of the gold, I would START the watch at $350.00 and then have to consider all of the other qualities of the watch, which according to, THE COLLECTOR, and YOURSELF, would determine the value of it. (not a great answer)

I can tell you this much, I would not let the watch go for a song, because, it has too many great qualities, to let it pass on to just anyone, just because you have not found one of the few that collects this kind of watch.

It is a scarce watch, it does have a Gorgeous movement, so I would hold on to it until I found the one person that values it for what it is.

The best way to determine the value would sometimes be to place it on ebay with a very high reserve price, and see what the bidding looks like. You would have to make sure that you post EVERYTHING about the watch, and show lots of pictures. But be careful, if you want to hold on to the watch, make the reserve price so high, no one would ever bid that high. Then again, there are days when NOTHING sells, so SEE, I told you this was a hard question to answer!!!!!!!!!!

I like your watch, and others would too, so ask what YOU think it's worth. Not what someone else thinks. It's the best way to determine a value to me.

Good luck,

Sheila

posted
Friends,

Please review the pictures that Marek has included with the post. If you look at the first photo of the dial you can make out the inside of the back cover of the watch in question. You will see a crown and then a set of even scales. This is the mark of J. Boss for a very nice 25 year gold filled case. The case here is not solid gold but gold filled. I think if Marek could show photos of the back and dust cover you would see it much better.

Thanks,

John

posted
John,
I think you got it! It does look like a J Boss Gold Filled case. I did see that, however I could not tell until I just enlarged it with one of my photo programs.

That does make a huge difference in price.

How about a photo of the case marks?

Sheila