WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Would like some opinions on an A Lincoln watch movement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1824
posted
I picked up an A Lincoln watch, s/n 3359611, for $150 which seemed a reasonable price to me and per the “Fat Book” was a good price for my purpose (amateur collecting only). Though I really like the looks of watch I think it is a mix and match but wanted to get some opinions on it and perhaps gain some insight as to what I actually have here.

Of course it was in “running” condition with no guarantee of timing so kinda took a chance. I know it needs to be service (hopefully nothing more!) but, after I have had it for several weeks and after testing the timing a couple of times, I can say that it runs pretty consistently about 8 minutes slow over 30 hours. Total run time is 42 hours (was not able to watch it when it actual stopped to know how much it was off at the exact time it stopped).

It is in a tip out case (Crescent # 31979) that I don’t know if it could be an original case but assume it was re-cased. I really like the case as it is in very nice condition, very few faint hard to see marks with perfect glass crystal. As I do like the case I don’t plan on changing it but was just curious if it could have been in this type of case originally.

The dial I think, based on what I can research, could be correct even if not original but again my uneducated guess. I don’t think the moon hands would be original to the Lincoln but they look nice for sure.

All in all I really like the appearance of the watch so happy with it at least until I get it serviced, then we will see if I stay happy! I would appreciate if anyone has any comments or opinions about the watch. Hopefully I did not get to bad of a deal here (knowing that will depend on what is found it anything when I do get it serviced). Now that I am a member of 185, the next watch I look for I will start my search on 185 and get opinions before I buy. Life is for leaning they say!

Attached is the movement I will also post the dial.

Thanks to all.

Movement 3359611

Posts: 148 | Location: Davie, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 26, 2013
IHC Member 1824
posted
Here is the dial.

Dial 3359611

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
First, I'd highly recommend you getting it serviced before you run it any more. I own one of those very models a few hundred numbers earlier (18s) and it keeps perfect time, well within 5-8 seconds or less a WEEK and FAR exceeding railroad standard time keeping.

8 minutes slow means a SUPER gummy movement. You're just damaging the works by allowing it to continue to run on old oil.

Mine has the old English Illinois style dial (lots of folks refer to it as Gothic style), but otherwise it's identical in appearance and case as your watch. Mine is also housed in a swing-out Crescent silveroid case.

Nice carry piece too!

I think you did very well on the price, considering the Shugart guide lists base prices at $275-375-500, you came in $125 under average condition! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
I have a 16s Sagamo in a similar case, and I just love it. Some collectors would frown on it because its not an original case. But silveroid cases look good to me ( I prefer silver colors) and they are near indestructible. I would never carry a gold filled watch for fear of wear. But a silveroid watch is perfect for carrying because wear is not an issue.
I think you did well for $150. But I would absolutely have it coa'd asap. 8 minutes off means something is wrong. It could be dirt. But at this stage in time the focus should be on preservation and maintenance so that the watch lasts your lifetime. Parts are getting harder to find by the day. Save yourself the cost of replacing hard to find parts by getting it serviced before problems develop.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I like your watch and I agree with Jim regarding the case. I would hazard a guess that the hands are not original but they are nice moon hands. The nice thing about nickle cases is they are just about indestructible and they look good. I have most of my watches serviced and any watch you intend to carry should be serviced to perform well and to minimize damage and wear.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
MIchael, careful inspection of a magnified view of the cased movement shows little or no evidence that the case has been used for any other movement. The hands are replacements as the Lincoln came with Spade/Javelin Plum color tempered steel hands.

These are among the best timekeepers and I have restored many of them with great success.Illinois seems to have put their "best foot forward" when finishing these Lincoln Beauties.

Properly serviced this watch should deviate less than a minute a week. I agree with Mark's note that 8 minutes a day is a warning not to run it any more until it has been serviced.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1824
posted
Mark, Jim, Richard and David, thanks all for the information. I will definitely heed your warnings and run no more until I can get it serviced. Feeling better now about the purchase and feel even more motivated to getting it serviced as soon as I can.
Don’t know if there is an active members list of who is taking on this type of service or not. In my limited time as a member I have had nothing but very positive experiences dealing with members so sure want to keep my business in the “family” so to speak if I can. If anyone has any recommendations or is looking for work please let me know. I would like to contact someone and get some type of standard COA service ball park figure (not including any parts or problems found of course) so I know how much I need to muster up before I send off to some.

Thanks again for all your recommendations and observations, it is greatly appreciated.

Michael

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Michael,

We have any number of qualified IHC185 Members that do service watches. Please check out our...

IHC185™ Members Business Directory

...for further information and details.

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5245 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1824
posted
Thank you Dr. Irvine, I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the direction.

Only been a member for the past few months but you all do a great job!

Michael