Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Convertible Stem and Case Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I have an Elgin Convertible (16s) Grade 50 (based in my serial number look up on the Elgin Serial Number Site) that I am trying to case. I found a Dueber Hunter Case that looks like it would work (it is cut out to hold a lever set and the stem seems like it is a lever set only stem as a little screw is actually used to hold it in place. So, my question is, where can a get the correct stem for this convertible? The movement itself actually has a beveled gear and stem in it already that does not match the one in the case (you can see it sticking out on the bottom right of each picture). I took pictures of the movement as well as the case (which is pretty brassed up) and the stem. Thanks for any info that you might have.
Dan

Elgin Convertible Movement

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
The Case - Marked Dueber Special. Top Left - clockwise (Back, Front, Inside, Stem)

Case

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Dan, there is nothing wrong with the stem coming from the movement, that is a standard convertible stem and is one of the reasons it is so difficult to recase these convertible watch movements....

The Dueber you have will work but the case stem must be changed to a female stem, not the male you have shown....

The one below is the stem needed for any convertible movement to be re cased....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Another view of the convertible stem....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008