Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Special Railway, How "Special"? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This Hampden HC 17 (not marked) Jewel Two-Tone "Special Railway" has no mention in the price Guide. Anybody want to venture a guess "how special" this is?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A little better view of the #768318 movement . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
David
For this variant no more than 3,000 to 4,000 serial numbers were blocked.

Around 1890 this would have been a special watch. Hampdens quality at that time was probably as good or better than the other companies.

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
David,

I know nothing about Hampdens but the plain looking second hand looks a little out of place for the fancy Louis XIV hands. Is it correct? Other than that it is a very nice looking piece.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Robert, Thanks for the details, I am less inclined to the Canton models than Springfields, but this one caught my attention due to the dial and hands. Kinda "showy".
Steve, Second hands seem to be the most "used up" hands and that replacement has to go. I have a good supply of Louis XIV hands of all types and will match up the second hand when I restore this.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hi David, I'm wondering about the balance cock. I have a 21 jewel 2 tone special railway and the balance cock on my watch is gold flashed to match the movement.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That scared me, so I have started cleaning it (when I take a watch apart I usually do that. All the numbers match for the Balance Cock, the top plate, and the balance wheel, and interestingly the fantastic crack free dial is PINNED to the main plate. There are NO dial screw provisions.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
What worried me most Gary was that the Balance Cock is ALL GOLD, with Fish Scale Damaskeened very fancy surface work. The Motor Barrel cover is evtra fancy too. Well now you got me juggling my time to finish cleaning this in front of that super sweet Father Time I just re-staffed and was finishin up . . . . . Roll Eyes

posted
So Dave, any chance this will find its way to the auction block?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I just finished cleaning it and reassembled it, and it needs a LOT of adjusting. Someone messed with about everything they could touch, and the amazing thing is that it still runs!
After I am done, because it is a Canton mvt, I will probably sell it