Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

who can fix my fusee and how much? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
I have a fusee watch with broken staff and bad hairspring. Is it worth fixing and who can fix and about how much will it cost? Many thanks, Sam

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Just my opinion Sam, but I think the answer is that it depends on many factors such as:

1. Does it have any family significance or historical significance?
2. Does it have a good case?
3. Is the chain intact? When the chain or mainspring breaks on these when the watch is wound there can be a lot of destruction that takes place.
4. How much money are you willing to spend on this? A staff would in all probability have to be made or re-pivoted requiring expensive lathe work. A hairspring would have to be fitted. Do you want it to keep reasonable time or just be able to run?

Probably there are other considerations that I haven't thought of at the moment.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Sam, I agree with Roger. Also is it a marked movement and matches the case and is it an early Fusee or the later with Liverpool windows and compensated balance? In other words is it a low number hand made or a later mass produced fusee? Just to give you an idea of cost I had a fusee form 1845 by John Monk and numbers matching and a very low serial and the same problems occured as yours. I took it to a local pocket watch guy here in the Toronto area who is very well known for his craftsmanship and he repaired it and it cost me a total of $110.00. That to me was an absolute deal! But to me the watch was worth it even if I had to spend 250.
So just an idea and you need to find a guy who enjoys repairing these very delicate English watches.

Hope that adds to your decissions on whether or not to get it repaired, as it is very possible, but is the movement worth it.

Thanks, Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sam, I suggest yopu go to Roland's watchmnaker. I asked Vladimir and he told me "$250.00 minimum with parts extra", meaning you would be looking at about $400.00. I expect Chris Abell would be in the same ballpark.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
thank you everyone for your post's. The watch has a solid balance, the chain is intack, it has no family value for me but it is an excellent example of the early watch. It's a nice silver case which is all complete and in good condition. I will check with Roland to see if his watchmaker is interested in doing the job. The only problem I see is shipping to Canada. I have had trouble in the past with shipping there as customs will want to know the value of the watch and charge the receiver......don't know what will happen with a repair job?? At any rate I will first see if Rolands watchmaker is interested in doing the repair. Thanks again!

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Sam,

Customs may be spared if it is being shipped for repair and to be returned to you. Can anyone comment on that?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
I was thinking the same thing but not sure either. Although either way I think there might be a huge delay at the border. I know a person in B.C. that was sent some home made Christmas goodies about 2 weeks before Christmas and they didn't receive them untill near the end of Jan.

posted
The real question is were they eaten ??
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Bill, lets just say that they were tested but not eaten Smile